Honoring Excellence in Sustainability
Seniors from all majors and all academic divisions were invited to apply
for candidacy as Baird Sustainability Fellows, a college-wide honors
program. The Baird Sustainability Fellows program recognizes graduating
seniors who have advanced sustainability goals on or beyond the
Dickinson campus through excellence in scholarship, leadership and
service. This college-wide honor, named for Spencer Fullerton Baird,
a prominent naturalist of the 19th century and Dickinson alumnus and
professor, is open to seniors from all majors and academic divisions.
Earning recognition as a Baird Sustainability Fellow is a highly selective process. Twelve Baird Sustainability Fellows have been selected from the Class of 2016. Those that met the rigorous standards of the honor were invited to participate in the program, which includes the half-credit interdisciplinary Baird Honors Colloquium in spring 2016 and serving as a spokesperson and leader for sustainability at Dickinson College. Upon completion of the Colloquium and service requirements, program participants will earn recognition as Baird Sustainability Fellows.
Selection of candidates,
and award of the Baird Sustainability Fellow honor, is decided on
the following criteria:
- Attainment of advanced level sustainability competencies and dispositions through academic work, practice and a scholarly, extracurricular, creative or service project.
- Evidence of a substantial scholarly or service project of exceptional quality, significance and impact that is related to sustainability.
- Demonstrated leadership in advancing sustainability goals of a campus or community group or project.
- High scholastic achievement, as evidenced by a 3.4 or higher GPA.
- Character and behavior that exemplify the values of civic
responsibility, environmental stewardship, social justice and global
For questions about the program and application process for this award, please contact:
The Center for Sustainability Education (CSE), Kaufman 190
Neil Leary, Director, email@example.com, 717.245.1954
Lindsey Lyons, Assistant Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, 717.245.1117