Honoring Excellence in Sustainability
Seniors from all majors and all academic divisions are invited to apply for candidacy as Baird Sustainability Fellows, a college-wide honors program. The Baird Sustainability Fellows program recognizes graduating seniors who have advanced sustainability goals on or beyond the Dickinson campus through excellence in scholarship, leadership and service. This college-wide honor, named for Spencer Fullerton Baird, a prominent naturalist of the 19th century and Dickinson alumnus and professor.
Earning recognition as a Baird Sustainability Fellow is a highly selective process. Those that met the rigorous standards of the honor are invited to participate in the program, which includes the half-credit interdisciplinary Baird Honors Colloquium in spring and serve as a spokesperson and leader for sustainability at Dickinson College. Upon completion of the Colloquium and service requirements, program participants will earn recognition as Baird Sustainability Fellows.
Selection of candidates, and award of the Baird Sustainability Fellow honor, is decided on the following criteria:
- Attainment of advanced level sustainability competencies and dispositions through academic work, practice and a scholarly, extracurricular, creative or service project.
- Evidence of a substantial scholarly or service project of exceptional quality, significance and impact that is related to sustainability.
- Demonstrated leadership in advancing sustainability goals of a campus or community group or project.
- High scholastic achievement, as evidenced by a 3.4 or higher GPA.
- Character and behavior that exemplify the values of civic responsibility, environmental stewardship, social justice and global perspective.
Applications for the Class of 2019 will be due in early October 2018. Check back for more information.
Faculty, staff and students in Class of 2021, 2020, 2019, and 2018 are also welcome to attend the information sessions to learn more about the program.
For questions about the program and application process for this award, please contact:
The Center for Sustainability Education (CSE), Kaufman 190
Neil Leary, Director, email@example.com, 717.245.1954
Lindsey Lyons, Assistant Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, 717.245.1117