Student Health Insurance FAQs

Student Health Insurance

Frequently Asked Questions

Insurance company • ID card • Preferred Providers • Co-pay • Who to contact • Where to go • Pharmacies and Prescriptions • Physicals • Dental  

What insurance company handles the Student Health Insurance plan for Dickinson College?  

  • United Healthcare is the insurance company for the 2014-2015 school year.

How do I get a new ID card if I lose mine?

The plan summary mentions “Preferred Providers” and “Out-of-Network Providers” – what is the difference?

  • Preferred Providers are Physicians, Hospitals and other health care providers who have contracted with United Healthcare to provide specific medical care at negotiated prices.
  • Out-of-Network Providers are Physicians, Hospitals or other care providers who have not agreed to any pre-arranged fee schedules.

Does it matter if I use a “Preferred Provider” or “Out-of-Network Provider”?

  • Yes – if you use a “Preferred Provider” you will not be responsible for any cost for the services other than the predetermined Co-pay amount for the service. If you use an “Out-of-Network Provider” you will be responsible for the Co-pay plus 20% of the Usual & Customary charges for medical services.

What is a “co-pay”?

  • A Co-pay is the amount you will be required to pay for a specific medical service. The Co-pays vary, please refer to the schedule of benefits in the plan document.  You can obtain a copy of the plan document by going to and select Dickinson College.

If I have a problem with our Student Health Plan whom should I contact?

  • The Dickinson College Student Health Plan also has client advocacy services through Health Advocate.  They can assist you with:
    • Explaining your benefit plan’s features and provisions 
    • Assistance with insurance claims 
    • Finding qualified physicians and hospitals 
    • Schedule appointments for you with a physician’s office

You can contact Health Advocate at 1-866-695-8622 or

If Health Advocate is not responsive, who else can I call?

  • You should call our Insurance Broker – RCM&D – if you need additional assistance. Our RCM&D Insurance Administrator is Tim Cummons. He can be reached at 1-800-346-4075 extension 1452 or  

If I need medical attention where should I go

  • If you do not need emergency medical attention you should initially contact the Dickinson College Health Center.  The Health Center will be able to determine if you need a medical specialist. In the event it is a medical emergency you should go to the nearest medical facility in your area. Carlisle Medical Center has emergency services.
  • Where to go

Does the Student Health Plan pay for prescription drugs?

  • Yes – the plan does pay for prescription drugs.  Please refer to the plan summary for the specific co-pays and limitations.

Can I go to any pharmacy?

  • No – please refer to the listing of the pharmacies that are in network or go to to find a pharmacy.

Does the Student Health Plan pay for routine physicals?

  • Yes – the plan pays for one physical exam per year. In other words, even if you are not sick, the plan will cover the cost of an annual check-up.  

Does the plan include any dental benefits?

  • Dental benefits are limited to injury to sound teeth, natural teeth, dental abscesses or impacted wisdom teeth only.
Call | Send SMS | Add to Skype (You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype)