Social Security Application Process for F-1 Visa Holders

To receive wages in the US, you must apply for a Social Security number. The Social Security Administration is the federal authority which issues the official card with a Social Security number. The government uses the number to keep track of your earnings and tax liability. You are only eligible to apply for a Social Security number if you have a job offer to work within the regulations of your visa. 

To apply, you need the following:

  1. Social Security Application Form 
  2. The original and a phototocopy of your (a) valid passport, of your (b) current visa and (c) I-20 form.
  3.  I-94 printout
  4. Employment verification letters from the Student Employment Office. Email your request to
  5. ISSS letter verifying your immigration status and proof of authorization to work. Please email us to request it 

You must apply in person at the Carlisle Social Security Office
200 S. Spring Garden St. • Carlisle, PA 17013 • (717) 243-0085
Office Hours:   Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM   Saturdays, Sundays and Federal Holidays: Closed

As soon as you receive your Social Security card with your Social Security Number (SSN), please upload a PDF of your Social Security card and your Dickinson College ID to the Registrar's Office using this secure portal link

Please be aware that your Social Security number is a gateway to your identity and should be secured. Identity theft is a serious problem and can create financial problems for you in the future. Take precautions to protect your personal information.

  • There are very few occasions when you will need to present your actual Social Security card.
    Do NOT carry your Social Security Card in your wallet! Keep your card in a safe place as you do your passport.

  • Other ways to protect your information include being careful about sharing your number, even when you’re asked for it. You should ask why your number is needed, how it will be used, and what will happen if you refuse to share the information.