Internships in Environmental Studies and Environmental Science
Internships are not required and do not count toward the environmental studies and science requirements. However, majors frequently pursue internships that allow them to gain professional experience, enhance their leadership skills, make connections and tackle real-world issues. Internship opportunities are available on campus, in the Carlisle community and, indeed, nationally and internationally. Internships are recognized through the Internship Notation Program. Funding is often available for support.
The Internship Notation Program
Students have engaged in a wide variety of internships in the department. Experiences that have an environment or sustainability focus (broadly construed), and are primarily practice-focused or service-oriented would qualify for the Internship Notation Program.
Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Work at one of the on-campus co-curricular programs, such as the Center for Sustainability Education, College Farm or ALLARM.
- Work at an environmental consulting or environmental law firm.
- A position with a state or federal agency, such as National Park Service, Environmental Protection Agency or PA Department of Environmental Protection.
- Work with an environmental advocacy group or a non-profit organization with a focus on environmental or sustainability issues.
- Work in the field of environmental or outdoor education.
Process for Receiving Internship Notation:
The Advising, Internships & Career Center supervises and approves internship experiences. The Environmental Studies Department does not administer the program, but faculty are always happy to provide help in finding appropriate internships. For details about the internship notation program including deadlines, eligibility, benefits and to register for the program students should see the Internship Notation Program website or contact Amity Fox.
Students with questions about the Internship Notation Program should contact Amity Fox in the Career Center.
Job, Internship, and Graduate Program Blog
Need help searching for internships, jobs, and graduate programs? Check out the new ENST job, internship and graduate program blog called ENSTOpportunities! The blog will be updated regularly with new jobs, internships, and graduate programs as we recieve them; Dickinson campus jobs and internships included. Be sure to check it often in case the next posting is the perfect fit for you!
- Earth Day Network
- United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Environmental Resources Management
- Food and Water Watch
- Fund for Global Human Rights
- Maine Audubon Society
- Sierra Club
- U.S. Green Building Council
- Friday Harbor Labs, University of Washington
- Hawaiian Hawksbill Turtle Recovery Project
- Massachusetts Audubon Society
- National Aquarium
- United States National Park Service
- New York State Energy Research and Development Authority
- U.S. Congress
- Women for a Healthy Environment
- The Chesapeake Bay Foundation
- Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources