Student Research and Honors

Student research picture maddie


Students majoring in environmental studies and environmental science can participate in independent study as well as a variety of research opportunities. Students have the unique opportunity to engage on projects that involve field, laboratory and library research with Dickinson faculty, at other college’s and universities, and through the National Science Foundation’s Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program.

In the Environmental Studies Department, work can involve an independent activity by the student under the guidance of a faculty member to collaborative projects with one or more faculty members or, perhaps, other students. Research questions may come from the independent research student, the faculty research advisor, or both. Up to two courses in independent study and/or research may count towards major requirements. Students also have the option of completing a research experience for transcript notation. Students who have successfully completed an outstanding independent research project and achieved a distinguished academic record may also be awarded departmental honors at graduation.

The process of conducting research begins early in a student’s career by talking with faculty about research opportunities and generating ideas for research topics. Detailed procedures for pursuing independent study, independent research, departmental honors or other research experiences are presented below.