Medical Emergencies

Call 911 if you need medical assistance!

  1. If serious injury or illness occurs on campus, immediately dial 911. Give your name, describe the nature and severity of the medical problem and the campus location of the victim.
  2. In cases of minor injury or illness, provide first aid care.  Use only sterile first aid materials. For first aid assistance you may call the Department of Public Safety at 717-245-1111.
  3. In the case of serious injury or illness quickly perform the following steps:
    1. Keep the victim still and comfortable.  Do not move the victim!
    2. Ask the victim, “Are you okay?” and “What is wrong?”
    3. Check the victim’s breathing. If you are trained in CPR, give artificial respiration if necessary.
    4. Control serious bleeding by direct pressure on the wound.  
    5. Continue to assist the victim until help arrives.
    6. Look for emergency medical IDs such as bracelets on injured persons, question witness(es) and give all information to the responding emergency personnel. 

If the injured person is an employee of the college, refer to the Injury and Illness Response Chart.

What to do if you're injured on the job