Dickinson College is located within Carlisle, Pennsylvania with a combination of local and state roads both bordering and intersecting campus. Further adding to the infrastructure are an interstate and a turnpike that border the outskirts of the town as well as a railroad directly intersecting several intersections, even cutting through campus. It is even critical for pedestrians and bicyclists to exercise caution when interacting with these different vehicles.
Use the sidewalk, if present, when walking or running
Make eye contact with motorists before crossing the street and ensure their vehicle comes to a complete stop before crossing the street
Wear light-colored, reflective clothing so you can be seen
Be aware of your surroundings
Cross the street only at designated crosswalks and by activating, and waiting for, the electronic walk-sign crossing signal
Where crossing-guards are present, wait for their signal to cross before doing so
Avoid cellphone use while walking
For more information about pedestrian safety, click on the following links:
Wear your helmet
Stop at all stop signs
Ride with the flow of traffic
Use hand-signals when changing direction
- Use bike lights when riding after dark
- Register your bike with DPS for security purposes
For more information about bicycle safety, click here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/road-safety/bicyclists
- Cross tracks ONLY at designated pedestrian or roadway crossings
- Do not cross the tracks until the lights have stopped flashing and it’s safe to do so
- Do not attempt to hop aboard railroad equipment at any time
- Be aware trains do not follow set schedules
- Narrow wheels can get caught between the rails. If on a bike, dismount and walk-don’t ride- across the tracks. Always cross at a 90-degree angle.
- Turn off music and remove earphones at all rail crossings
- If you see a train coming, WAIT!
For more information on railroad safety, click here: https://oli.org/