The room selection process for upperclass students will be taking place on April 15-18, 2024. The online housing selection program, Housing Self-Service, can be accessed through the housing icon in your Gateway (http://gateway.dickinson.edu). Using this program, students can view their lottery time, select roommates, view available housing options, and select housing for next year. Residence Life & Housing will communicate with students via email and this website to share information throughout the spring semester.
QUICK INFORMATION ABOUT HOUSING SELECTION
Quick Reference Guide - A one-page guide for completing steps of room selection process
- April 1: Housing Application due
- April 8: Roommate Selection Opens; Lottery Times Posted in Housing Self-Service.
- April 11: Proxy requests & mixed-class roommate groups due by 4pm EDT
- April 15: Rising Senior Room Selection
- April 16: Rising Junior Room Selection
- April 18: Rising Sophomore Room Selection
To be eligible to participate in housing selection, students must complete the following:
- Complete your Housing Application in Housing Self-Service by April 1,
- Register for at least one class for the fall semester during course request, and
- Ensure they do not have any financial hold on their account in order to be entered into the housing lottery.
- Housing Application - All students living on campus must complete this application.
- Proxy Request Form - In the event that a student needs a proxy because they cannot select housing at their appointed time, the student with the best lottery time needs to complete a Proxy Request form. The form will open April 8. All proxy requests are due on April 11 by 4pm EDT.
- Mixed-Class Roommate Group Form - Students seeking to live with roommates of a different class year must complete this form so they can be administratively matched as roommates. All students within the mixed-class group must complete the form. The form will open April 8. All proxy requests are due on April 11 by 4pm EDT. Students will be matched with their requested roommates after that date.
STEPS TO SELECT HOUSING
Step 1: Housing Application (due April 1, 2024)
- All students living on campus in the fall must complete the housing application, including students who select housing through the Special Interest House, accommodation, or RA/HAM/CA process.
- Students who do not complete the application will not be eligible to select housing this spring.
- Housing Application Instructions
Step 2: Review Housing Lottery Time (April 8, 2024)
- All students will receive an email when the housing lottery times are released.
- Lottery times are accessed through a student's Housing portal on Gateway.
- Lottery times are assigned within a class year (i.e. all sophomores select on one night, all seniors on another night, etc.). Within each night, lottery times are randomized.
Step 3: Roommate Selection (begins April 8, 2024)
- Students must mutually request any and all roommates. This includes students who will live in the same suite or apartment together.
- Students in the same class year will match with their roommate through their Housing Portal on Gateway: How to Match with Roommates (video). This process starts on April 8 and continues until a student selects their housing through the room selection process.
- Students in different class years who would like to live together must submit a mixed-class roommate group form. Students in mixed-class roommate groups will have their lottery time adjusted. Please review this documenbt for more information: Mixed-Class Roommate Groups. Mixed-class roommate groups must submit their Mixed-Class Roommate Group Form by April 11.
Step 3: Identify housing preferences and options
- We encourage students to be realistic about what to expect during the housing selection process and plan for multiple options.
- While housing occupancy can vary from year to year, we do see some patterns. This document shows which class years typically pick which spaces during housing lottery.
- Typically, we see rising sophomores select doubles in traditional buildings, rising juniors select suites, and rising seniors select singles or apartment-style housing. These are the most typical options each class year will be able to select during their selection time.
- Configuration of Houses & Apartments: this document will be updated by April 8, 2024 with information for 2024-2025 academic year
- Housing Rates: There is differential pricing for apartment-style and single occupancy rooms. Students are encouraged to consider this information as they are making decisions about housing options for the coming academic year.
- Floor plans are available for most spaces by visiting Housing Self-Service (via Housing icon on Gateway). On the right side of the Housing Self-Service page, you will find a link to “Floor Plans” under the Helpful Links section on the right side of the screen.
- Additional information about traditional style housing and house/apartment style housing is available on our website.
- Often times students confuse High Street Residence and 25/27 W. High Street when selecting a space in the lottery. High Street Residence is the name of the newest residence hall built on our campus. 25/27 West High Street is the name of the building in downtown Carlisle across from Carlisle Theater.
Step 4: Select Housing
- Housing is selected via a student's Housing Portal accessed through Gateway.
- How to Navigate the Housing Lottery Process (video)
- Support will be available for students with questions during the lottery. Please check your email on the day of your selection for more information.
- We will host optional information sessions on March 21 at 8pm in Allison Community Room and 9pm in Kisner-Woodward Round Room/Lounge. All students are welcome to attend.
- If you have questions, please contact Residence Life & Housing during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM-4:30 PM) by phone at 717-245-1556 or send us an email at email@example.com.