At this time Room Selection for fall 2020 is postponed. Please see your email for more information.
Updated informational and educational materials for the spring 2020 room selection process are now available. Roommate preferencing starts on Monday, April 20, which is the same day you will see your lottery time in Housing Self-Service (through Housing icon in Gateway). Please note: Students must complete the "Room Selection 2020" application in Housing Self-Service by Friday, 4/3, register for at least one class during course request for the fall semester (Monday 3/30 - Friday 4/3), and ensure they do not have any financial hold on their account in order to be entered into the housing lottery.
Welcome to the room selection process 2020 for the 2020-2021 academic year. The online housing selection program, Housing Self-Service, can be accessed through the housing icon in your Gateway (http://gateway.dickinson.edu). Using this program, students can view their lottery time, select roommates, view available housing options, and select housing for next year.
Please read through the information on this page, and in the attached documents, as many of your questions will be answered. If you still have questions, please contact Residence Life & Housing during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM-4:30 PM) by phone at 717-245-1556 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Room Rates - All small houses, apartments, and standard single rooms in traditional residence halls have an additional charge associated with this type of housing. Students are encouraged to consider this information as they are making decisions about housing options for the coming academic year.
Housing Self-Service Tutorial Videos:
- General Overview of Helpful Information
- How to Fill Out Your Housing Application
- How to Match with Roommates
- How to Navigate the Housing Lottery Process
The dates for the Room Selection Process have been changed. Here are the new dates that you should be are aware of and that are now incorrect in these videos:
- April 3: Housing Application is Due
- March 30 – April 3: Course Request Period for Fall 2020 (To be eligible for room selection, students must register for at least one class during course request and must have all holds cleared from their student account)
- April 20: Roommate Selection Opens; Lottery Times Posted in Housing Self-Service.
- April 24: Proxy requests & mixed-class roommate groups due by 4:00PM
- April 28: Rising Senior Selection
- April 29: Rising Junior Selection
- April 30: Rising Sophomore Selection
How to Complete the Housing Application - A small guide to completing your housing application, which is the first step in the room selection process.
Quick Reference Guide - A one-page guide for completing the three steps of room selection.
Questions About the Room Selection Process:
We are hoping to find ways to virtually answer questions that students going through the Room Selection process have. Therefore, we have created two specific opportunities for this to be done. However, if you do have more immediate questions or want to talk with us one on one please feel free to reach out Residence Life & Housing by phone at 717-245-1556 or send us an email at email@example.com.
Housing Questions Form: If you have any questions about housing please submit them via this form. If you submit a general housing question we will be compiling them from this form and then creating a video to send out to all students going through the Room Selection process so everyone can have access to the answers to these questions. If you submit a personal question about your specific housing situation, we will work to reach out to you directly to try and touch base. You can ask questions via this form through Monday, April 6 at 4:30pm.
Housing Open Forums: If you have a brief question to ask about housing or the room selection process we have created several times where you will be able to speak directly with a staff member from Residence Life & Housing via Zoom. Please note that you will be placed into a queue when entering Zoom and we will answer questions from people one on one so you may have to wait if there is a few people already in line prior to you entering. If you have a question that is going to take more than a couple minutes to answer please reach out to Residence Life & Housing so we can schedule another time to talk with you one on one.
Times and Dates of these Housing Open Forums are as follows:
- Tuesday, April 7 from 9:30-10:30am and 1:30-2:30pm
- Wednesday, April 8 from 11:00am-12:00pm and 3:00-4:00pm
- Tuesday, April 14 from 9:30-10:30am and 1:30-2:30pm
- Wednesday, April 15 from 11:00am-12:00pm and 3:00-4:00pm
- Tuesday, April 21 from 9:30-10:30am and 1:30-2:30pm
- Wednesday, April 22 from 11:00am-12:00pm and 3:00-4:00pm
Please use this link to join the Housing Open Forum on Zoom during the dates and times listed above: https://zoom.us/j/452721001
Proxy Request Form - In the event a student needs a proxy because they cannot select housing at their appointed time, the student with the best lottery time needs to complete a Proxy Request form. All proxy requests are due on Friday, April 24 by 4:00 PM to Residence Life & Housing. The designated proxy must agree to this role by completing the Proxy Acknowledgement Form by Monday, April 27 at 8:30 AM.
Mixed-Class Roommate Group Form - Students seeking to live with roommates of a different class year must complete this form so they can be administratively matched as roommates. All requests are due by on Friday, April 24 by 4:00 PM. Students will be matched with their requested roommates after that due date.
Weighted Roommate Groups - Mixed-class roommate groups will be weighted to determine which night the group will select housing during the room selection process.
Rising seniors = 3 points
Rising juniors = 2 points
Rising sophomores = 1 point
We will add the group’s points and divide by the number of people in the group to get a score using the following formula: Student 1 + Student 2 + Student 3 +… / number in group = X.
If X = 2.5 or greater, the group picks during the last slot of Senior Night (April 28).
If X = 2.25-2.49, the group picks during the first slot of Junior Night (April 29).
If X = 2.0-2.24, the group picks during the last slot of Junior Night (April 29)
If X = 1.5-1.9, the group picks during the first slot of Sophomore Night (April 30).
If X = less than 1.5, the group picks during the best sophomore time slot in the group on Sophomore Night (April 30).
The score will determine the night the group picks housing.
- 2 rising seniors (at 3 points each) and 1 rising junior (at 2 points). Total group points of 8, divide by 3 people in the group, get group score of 2.67. This group picks during the last timeslot on Senior Night.
- 1 rising senior (at 3 points) and 2 rising juniors (at 2 points each). Total group points of 7, divide by 3 people in the group, get group score of 2.34. This group picks during the first timeslot on Junior Night.
- 1 rising senior (at 3 points) and 2 rising sophomores (at 1 point each). Total group points of 5, divide by 3 people in the group, get group score of 1.67. This group picks during the first timeslot on Sophomore Night.
Specific Information About Community Bathrooms:
Below is information about bathroom designations for community bathrooms in upperclass spaces. Students may select to live on any floor, regardless of the bathroom designation. Unless the community decides otherwise, this bathroom will remain as designated. You must consult with all members of your roommate group to ensure they are comfortable with the community bathroom designation on the floor you choose, if applicable.
- Buchanan: Ground Floor (Two community baths: one gender inclusive, one female), First Floor (Two community baths: one gender inclusive, one male), Second Floor (Two community baths: one gender inclusive, one female)
- Conway: Ground Floor (Two community baths: one gender inclusive, one female), First Floor (Two community baths: one gender inclusive, one male), Second Floor (Two community baths: one gender inclusive, one female)
- Cooper: Third Floor if made available for room selection (One community bath: will be designated after room selection, either male or female)
- Kisner-Woodward: In each tower, First Floor (One Community bath: male), Second Floor (One Community bath: gender inclusive), Third Floor (One Community bath: gender inclusive (A Tower/Sub Free Housing), One Community bath: female (B Tower))
- Malcolm: Ground Floor (One Community bath: female), First Floor (all baths gender inclusive), Second Floor (One Community bath: gender inclusive), Third Floor (One Community bath: female)
- Witwer: First Floor (Two community baths: one gender inclusive, one female), Second Floor (Two community baths: one gender inclusive, one male), Third Floor (Two community baths: one gender inclusive, one female)
Specific Information for Small Houses & Apartments:
Housekeeping Services - All small houses & apartments are designated as self-cleaning, with a few exceptions listed in this document. Students can contact Facilities Management at 717-245-1212 to request toilet paper, trash bags, and basic cleaning supplies (broom, vacuum cleaner, etc.). All student housing (including small houses & apartments) will be cleaned at break intervals (Fall Pause, Winter Break, and Spring Break) during the academic year.
All small houses and apartments are designated as self-cleaning with the following exceptions:
- 532 West Louther Street (The Treehouse)
- 170 West Louther Street (Pi Beta Phi sorority)
- 171 West High Street (Delta Nu sorority)
- Vincett House (Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority)
- Stayer House (Human Cultures)
Bathrooms in the following suite-style/cluster-style housing are cleaned once a week:
- McKenney Suites
- DAWI Suites
Bathrooms in the following suite-style/cluster-style housing are cleaned twice a week:
- High Street Residence
Bathrooms in the following suite-style housing are cleaned twice a month:
- BDMC Suites
Bathrooms in the following suite-style housing are cleaned at fall pause, winter break, and spring break:
- Morgan Hall
Questions about Housekeeping service can be directed to Facilities Management at 717-245-1212.
House & Apartment Addresses - Below is a list of small houses & apartments students typically know by name as opposed to the address:
- “Denny Apartments” – 155, 159, 163, 165, and 169 West High Street.
- “Factory Apartments” – 230 and 236 West North Street.
- “Townhouses” – 373, 377, 379, 381, and 383 West Louther Street.
- “Reed Street Houses” – 502, 504, 506, 508, 510, and 512 Reed Street.
- “Cherry Street Houses” – 128, 130, 136, and 140 Cherry Street.
- “White Elephant Apartments” – 141 West High Street.
Trash & Recycling Collection and Laundry Locations for Small Houses and Apartments - Information on locations of trash & recycling collection and laundry locations for small houses and apartments can be found here.
- For more information about trash collection locations, please contact Facilities Management at 717-245-1212.
- For questions about television, phone, or data service, please contact the Helpdesk at 717-245-1000 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Configuration of Small Houses & Apartments - Students interested in living in small houses & apartments can find out the occupancy of and room types within specific housing assignments.
Other Pieces of Helpful Information:
- Often times students confuse High Street Residence and 25/27 W. High Street when selecting a space in the lottery. High Street Residence is the name of the newest residence hall built on our campus. 25/27 West High Street is the name of the building in downtown Carlisle that is on top of where the Square Bean coffee shop is.
- There is a limited number of 3-person spaces on campus. Living in groups of 2 or 4 is what is most common for students going through the room selection process.
- We often get questions about where a certain class year can expect to live. This does vary from year to year but this is typically where we see class years living:
- Seniors: Houses & Apartments and Residence Hall Singles
- Juniors: McKenney and other Residence Hall Suites and Residence Hall Doubles
- Sophomores: Morgan, Witwer, and Malcolm Suites and Residence Hall Doubles