Updated informational and educational materials for the spring 2017 room selection process are now available. Roommate preferencing starts on Friday, March 31, the same day you will see your lottery time in Housing Self-Service (through Housing icon in Gateway). Please note: Students must complete the "Preparation for Room Selection 2017" application in Housing Self-Service and register for at least one class during course request for the fall semester (Monday 3/27-Wednesday 3/29) in order to be entered into the housing lottery.
Welcome to the room selection process 2017 for the 2017-2018 academic year. The online housing selection program, Housing Self-Service, can be accessed through the housing icon in your Gateway (http://gateway.dickinson.edu). Using this program, students can view their lottery time, select roommates, view available housing options, and select housing for next year. There are four major steps in order to complete the room selection process:
- Preparation for Room Selection application
- Roommate preferencing
- Exploring available rooms
- Selecting a room
Please read through the information on this page, and in the attached documents, as many of your questions will be answered. If you still have questions, please attend one of the information sessions, stop by Residence Life & Housing during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM-4:30 PM), or send us an email at email@example.com.
Differential Pricing - All small houses, apartments, and standard single rooms in traditional residence halls have an additional charge associated with this type of housing. Students are encouraged to consider this information as they are making decisions about housing options for the coming academic year.
Housing Self-Service Tutorial Videos: - Step-by-step guides for completing the four steps of room selection.
- Room Selection Preparation Application Tutorial - required for all students living on campus in the fall to acknowledge Room & Board Agreement and other important information.
- Roommate Matching: Simple & Advanced - Students searching for a roommate can make their profile available online and search for possible roommate matched through "Advanced Roommate Search" under "Roommates/Suitemates" on the Room Selection tab.
Quick Reference Guide - A one-page guide for completing the three steps of room selection. All first-year students will receive a paper copy of this guide in their HUB mailbox on March 27, 2017.
Weighted Roommate Groups - Mixed-class roommate groups will be weighted to determine which night the group will select housing during the room selection process.
Rising seniors = 3 points
Rising juniors = 2 points
Rising sophomores = 1 point
We will add the group’s points and divide by the number of people in the group to get a score using the following formula: Student 1 + Student 2 + Student 3 +… / number in group = X.
If X = 2.5 or greater, the group picks during the last slot of Senior Night (April 19).
If X = 2.25-2.49, the group picks during the first slot of Junior Night (April 20).
If X = 2.0-2.24, the group picks during the last slot of Junior Night (April 20)
If X = 1.5-1.9, the group picks during the first slot of Sophomore Night (April 21).
If X = less than 1.5, the group picks during the best sophomore time slot in the group on Sophomore Night (April 21).
The score will determine the night the group picks housing.
- 2 rising seniors (at 3 points each) and 1 rising junior (at 2 points). Total group points of 8, divide by 3 people in the group, get group score of 2.67. This group picks during the last timeslot on Senior Night.
- 1 rising senior (at 3 points) and 2 rising juniors (at 2 points each). Total group points of 7, divide by 3 people in the group, get group score of 2.34. This group picks during the first timeslot on Junior Night.
- 1 rising senior (at 3 points) and 2 rising sophomores (at 1 point each). Total group points of 5, divide by 3 people in the group, get group score of 1.67. This group picks during the first timeslot on Sophomore Night.
Proxy Instructions and Educational Information - This is an instructional and educational guide on proxying for another student during room selection.
Proxy Request Form - In the event a student needs a proxy because they cannot select housing at their appointed time, the student with the best lottery time needs to complete a Proxy Request form. All proxy requests are due on Friday, April 14 by 4:00 PM to Residence Life & Housing. The designated proxy must agree to this role by completing the Proxy Acknowledgement Form by Monday, April 17 at 8:30 AM.
Mixed-Class Roommate Group Form - Students seeking to live with roommates of a different class year must complete this form so they can be administratively matched as roommates. All requests are due by on Friday, April 14 by 4:00 PM.
Specific Information for Small Houses & Apartments:
Comcast Service: Nearly all student residences are served by the College television, phone, and data networks. However, there are some small houses and apartments that are not served by these networks. The following addresses have television and internet service provided by Comcast:
- 141 West High Street
- 146 West Louther Street
- 150 West Louther Street
- 152 West Louther Street
- 154 West Louther Street
- 156 West Louther Street
Wired internet connections are available in these addresses. Students in these addresses are able to set up their own wireless internet but must supply their own router and other installation equipment. Wireless routers can be found at any computer or office supply store for about $30.
For questions about television, phone, or data service, please contact the Helpdesk at 717-245-1000 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Housekeeping Services - All small houses & apartments are designated as self-cleaning, with a few exceptions listed in this document. Students can contact Facilities Management at 717-245-1212 to request toilet paper, trash bags, and basic cleaning supplies (broom, vacuum cleaner, etc.). All student housing (including small houses & apartments) will be cleaned at break intervals (Fall Pause, Winter Break, and Spring Break) during the academic year.
All small houses and apartments are designated as self-cleaning with the following exceptions:
- 532 West Louther Street (The Treehouse)
- 170 West Louther Street (Pi Beta Phi sorority)
- 171 West High Street (Delta Nu sorority)
- Vincett House
Bathrooms in the following suite-style housing are cleaned once a week:
- McKenney Suites
- DAWI Suites
Bathrooms in the following suite-style housing are cleaned once a month:
- BDMC Suites
Bathrooms in the following suite-style housing are cleaned at fall pause, winter break, and spring break:
- Morgan Hall
Questions about Housekeeping service can be directed to Facilities Management at 717-245-1212.
House & Apartment Addresses - Below is a list of small houses & apartments students typically know by name as opposed to the address:
- “Denny Apartments” – 155, 159, 163, 165, and 169 West High Street.
- “Factory Apartments” – 230 and 236 West North Street.
- “Townhouses” – 373, 377, 379, 381, and 383 West Louther Street.
- “Reed Street Houses” – 502, 504, 506, 508, 510, and 512 Reed Street.
- “Cherry Street Houses” – 128, 130, 136, and 140 Cherry Street.
- “White Elephant Apartments” – 141 West High Street.
Trash & Recycling Collection Locations for Small Houses and Apartments - Information on locations of trash & recycling collection locations for small houses and apartments:
- Reed Street, Cherry Street, 505, 507, 509, 515, 519, 521, 527, 529, 531 West Louther Street – dumpster located behind Reed Street houses in the parking lot.
- Townhouses – dumpster located behind townhouses in the parking lot.
- 171, 173, 179 West Louther Street – dumpster located behind properties.
- 146, 150, 152, 154, 156 West Louther Street – dumpsters located across the alley on either side of the archaeology building.
- 19, 23, and 25/27 West High Street – toters located behind properties.
- White Elephant Apartments – dumpster located behind 165 West High Street.
- Denny Apartments – dumpster located behind properties in the parking lot.
- All other small houses & apartments have large green “toter” trash containers located to the rear of their houses.
For more information about trash collection locations, please contact Facilities Management at 717-245-1212.
The Configuration of Small Houses & Apartments - Students interested in living in small houses & apartments can find out the occupancy of and room types within specific housing assignments.