Dickinson alumni are always ready to be useful, to serve, and to serve a purpose. And for staying engaged, there’s no better way than being involved in The Alumni Council. The Alumni Council serves Dickinson by representing Alumni, strengthening the Dickinson community though active engagement, promoting the core values of the College, and assisting the College Staff as a resource and sounding board for College initiatives.
The Council also serves as a voice for alumni and a mechanism through which all Dickinson alumni can have their opinions heard. If you have a question, issue or concern that you would like to bring to the attention of the Alumni Council, please contact us to let us know.
- Career Committee
- Development Committee
- Leadership Committee
- Lifelong Learning & Engagement
ALUMNI COUNCIL MISSION STATEMENT:
The mission of the Alumni Council of Dickinson College is to represent all alumni and to strengthen their commitment to Dickinson. The Alumni Council will assist the College in strengthening the connection between all alumni and between alumni and current students in order to create a strong sense of community and to raise the visibility of the College on a national and international level.The Council will also work to increase the engagement of all alumni and make the presence and value of this network an integrated part of the Dickinson College experience from admission to graduation and beyond. Success by the Alumni Council will allow Dickinson to meet its goal of preparing young people for engaged lives as strong citizens and leaders in service to society. The work of the Council will also provide all alumni with the opportunity to take ownership in the ongoing advancement of the College.
- Careers:The Career Committee of the Alumni Council assists the college in addressing the transition from college to career. The committee works to facilitate alumni engagement at every level, supports the connection of alumnus to alumnus and encourages alumni participation in the numerous developmental activities offered by the college, including networking days, internship receptions and Career Connections. Finally, the committee meets with the Dean of Career Development on a regular basis to review the program and assist with its promotion.
- Development: The Development Committee of the Alumni Council assists with fundraising efforts of the college. Committee members review development initiatives of the College Advancement division and promote philanthropic support among alumni, especially volunteers. The Development Committee works to ensure 100-percent participation in the annual fund by Alumni Council members. In addition, the committee is responsible for selecting and awarding the Alumni Scholarship each year to qualified students with Dickinson legacy connections.
- Leadership: The Leadership Committee of the Alumni Council assists with the recruitment of new members for the Council who reflect the diversity and interests of the entire alumni body. In addition, this committee will help to facilitate the mentorship of its members (new and existing). The committee will also update and review the By-Laws and other formal documents when deemed necessary. The committee presents a formal slate of members and the leadership (executive committee) for vote each year. Finally, there are several awards that this committee gives to individual alumni.
- Lifelong Learning & Engagement: The Lifelong Learning & Engagement Committee strives to promote targeted programming to increase the engagement of alumni with the college and each other. The committee will support engagement through on-campus, off-campus, and online opportunities, focusing especially on lifelong learning, travel programs, online opportunities and signature programs.
The Council will annually divide into working groups based upon the greatest needs of the Advancement Division, the college and the council at the time. Council members are expected to be a part of at least one group. Working groups are not required to hold sessions at every meeting, but should hold sessions at least twice per year. Working groups will be lead by staff liaisons.
The 2018-2019 year will include the following working groups:
- Althletics Engagement
- Multicultural Alumni Engagement
- Young Alumni Engagement
- Affinity Program Engagement