Request for Dietary-based Disability Accommodation

In compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Dickinson College has established procedures to ensure that students with documented disabilities have access to reasonable on-campus dietary accommodations. 

Students (and parents) should bear in mind that, as a four-year residential college, all students living on campus are required to purchase a meal plan. Students in need of dietary accommodations should not expect an exemption from this meal plan requirement. Dietary accommodations can be facilitated through Dining Services where every reasonable effort will be made to support students’ documented dietary needs, while maintaining Dickinson’s core belief that dining with fellow students is an important facet of life at a residential college. Dietary accommodations that are currently available through Dining Services include gluten-free and lactose-free options, meals for vegan diets, a Star-K-certified kosher kitchen, and the ability to request alternative meals if necessitated by a documented medical condition.

Dickinson is committed to removing barriers to full participation in the Dickinson community, and the Dietary Accommodations Committee will make every effort to accommodate students with dietary-based disabilities and maintain accessibility to Dining Services options. Visit Dining Services' Dietary and Allergen Information page for more information on Dickinson's procedures for addressing food allergies.

Procedures for Requesting a Dietary-based Accommodation  

  1. Complete and submit a Disability Disclosure and Accommodation Request Form electronically through the Forms tab of the Dickinson Gateway.
  2. Send the Dietary-based Disability Documentation Form to the student's healthcare provider for completion. (You can also just direct your doctor to access the form via this page using this shortcut link: The healthcare provider (who may not be a relative of the student) should return the form directly to ADS via fax, email, or US mail. 
  3. Instruct your healthcare provider to send ADS Documentation of the Disability, such as test results and consultation notes. Review our Documentation Guidelines for the requirements for each specific disability. 

Documentation and requests should be submitted to Access and Disability Services, by any one of the following means:

Fax: 717-254-8139
US Mail:
Access and Disability Services
Dickinson College
PO Box 1773
Old West - Lower Level, Room 005

Carlisle, PA 17013


  • July 31st for the Fall Semester
  • December 31st for the Spring Semester

Applications will not be considered until all documentation has been received. While applications submitted after these dates will be accepted and considered, Dickinson College cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet late applicants’ accommodation needs, including any needs that develop during the semester.

Requests will be considered by the Dietary Accommodations Committee, which is comprised of representatives from Access and Disability Services, Dining Services, the Wellness Center, and other professional consultants, as needed. If follow-ups with care providers are needed, this may require additional time for an accommodation determination to be made. Students are informed of the status of their request by the Committee as soon as reasonably possible. 

Determination of Accommodation

Dietary accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis, according to documented need, and prevailing standards for reasonable accommodations. Please note that students are not making a request for a specific outcome, but rather a request for an accommodation. The Dietary Disability Accommodations Committee will review the student’s documentation and determine an appropriate and reasonable dietary accommodation, if warranted. The College does not grant accommodations solely on the recommendations of care providers, but on the documented functional limitations posed by the student’s disability under the ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.