FOR CURRENT STUDENTS, THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE FOR THE 2022-23 ACADEMIC YEAR WAS MARCH 18, 2022 AND HAS NOW PASSED.
FOR INCOMING STUDENTS, THE DISCLOSURE AND REQUEST DEADLINE IS MAY 31, AND THE DEADLINE FOR RECEIVING SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION IS JUNE 15, 2022.
These deadlines were established to provide the College with sufficient time to review requests and all supporting documentation, communicate with care providers, and for consideration to be given to specific disability-related housing needs before the complex housing assignment processes take place. For needs that arise after these deadlines, see the bottom of this page for additional details.
Dickinson is a residential college and the residential experience is understood to be an integral part of a Dickinson education. Dickinson is committed to the full participation of students with disabilities in all aspects of College life, including residential life.
Please be advised that requests for particular housing assignments based on a student’s preference, rather than need, for that type of living environment or location will not be honored (e.g., a student with ADHD or a learning disability seeking a single room to serve as a quiet, undisturbed place to study represents a preference, but not a necessity). Accordingly, an accommodation for a room with access to a semi-private bathroom or a kitchen would be granted to students for whom a dietary accommodation would not suffice in meeting their disability-related needs. Similarly, a single room accommodation is reserved for individuals whose disability documentation illustrates clear and substantial barriers in the living environment, and for whom a standard housing assignment with a roommate is not viable.
Here is more information regarding policies and deadlines regarding the Disability Accommodation Request Procedures for College Housing.
PROCEDURES FOR REQUESTING A HOUSING ACCOMMODATION:
- Complete and submit a Disability Disclosure and Accommodation Request Form electronically through the Forms tab of the Dickinson Gateway
- Send the Disability Documentation Form for College Housing to your health care provider for completion. (You can also just direct your care provider to access the form via this page using this shortcut link: www.dickinson.edu/ADS-housing.) The healthcare provider (who may not be a relative of the student) should return the form directly to ADS via fax, email, or US mail.
- Instruct your healthcare provider to send ADS Documentation of the Disability, such as test results and consultation notes. Review our Documentation Guidelines for the requirements for each specific disability.
Documentation and requests should be submitted to ADS by one of the following means:
US Mail: Access and Disability Services
P.O Box 1773
Old West Lower Level, Room 5
Carlisle, PA 17013
- The presentation of documentation and/or the recommendation of a care provider does not automatically guarantee disability status or specific accommodations.
- Students requesting a housing accommodation based on dietary-related needs must also follow the process outlined at www.dickinson.edu/ADS-dietary.
HOUSING ACCOMMODATION REQUEST DEADLINES
Returning Students: For all returning students, the submission deadline for Fall 2022 housing accommodation requests and supporting documentation was Friday, March 18.*
Incoming Students: For incoming First-Year and Transfer students, Fall 2022 housing accommodation requests should be received by May 31, 2022 and all supporting documentation must be received by June 15, 2022.*
* If you have a need for a housing accommodation that arises for the first time after a deadline, email firstname.lastname@example.org to make it known that you will be submitting a post-deadline request. The Housing Accommodation Committee will strive to determine and, for those deemed eligible, meet newly arising needs for housing accommodations as soon as reasonably possible given the limited availability of housing options following the assignment process. If accommodated housing is granted, but unavailable, the student will be placed on a priority waitlist until such housing becomes available.
These deadlines were established to provide the College with sufficient time to review requests, communicate with care providers, and for consideration to be given to specific housing-related needs before the complex housing assignment processes for all Dickinson students take place. The Housing Accommodation Committee has allocated a 3-week period in March for returning students and in June for incoming students to review all submitted housing accommodation requests and supporting documentation and to communicate with care providers, as necessary. For this reason, it is critical that requests and all supporting documentation are received by the posted submission deadlines.
If you wish to seek a housing accommodation request for subsequent semesters -- which is required for all accommodations granted on a temporary basis -- we urge you to take note of the guidance, notification information, and deadlines posted in the Disability Accommodation Request Procedures for College Housing.
If you submit a housing accommodation request that is denied, the standard first step in the appeals process is to respond to your email notification asking that your request be reconsidered. You should provide an elaboration as to why you believe your request to be necessitated on the basis of a disability and provide details as to how the options provided to you pose a substantial limitation to one or more major life activities that cannot be assuaged through reasonable alternative options. If you are dissatisfied with the results of your informal appeal, or if you wish to forgo the informal appeals process, you can find information regarding the formal appeals process in this Disability-Related Complaints Policy.