In the Fall of 2008, Student Senate and the Division of Student Development convened a group of students, faculty and administrators to develop the process by which students apply and are selected for permission to live off campus. The working group's charge was to address student concerns associated with the process and to create intentional ways of assisting students with living productively and responsibly in the local neighborhoods. The process and associated documents linked below have been endorsed by the All-college Committee on Enrollment and Student Life.
Important elements of the process include:
- An opportunity for students to apply for off-campus releases in groups (up to 4 individuals per group as per Carlisle Borough Code).
- Conduct screening of applicants by:
- requiring a reflective essay by applicants who have had conduct violations
- vesting final decisions about applicants with a conduct history in a panel of student, faculty and staff
- A clear articulation that a lottery will be used if demand by eligible students is in excess of the number of permissions available
- Involving Student Senate in oversight of assignment of lottery numbers for transparency
- A requirement that successful candidates participate in a seminar about productive neighborhood living.
Information sessions will be held to provide applicants with more specific information about the process. Applications will be available at each session and students interested in applying to live off campus will have the opportunity to ask questions. The information session dates are scheduled as follows:
Friday, November 22, 2013 at 12:00 pm in Althouse, Room 106
Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 12:00 pm in Althouse, Room 106
The timeline for Fall 2014-Spring 2015 off-campus permission is as follows:
- Friday, January 31, 2014 – Completed Off-Campus Applications due to the Student Life Office by 4:30PM. An application is not complete until all accompanying documentation has been submitted.
- Monday, February 10, 2014 – Notice sent to students deemed ineligible for off-campus permission due to violations of the Community Standards.
- Friday, February 14, 2014– Deadline for students to adjust their application in the event any initial applicant(s) are deemed ineligible.
- Wednesday, February 19, 2014 – Notice of off-campus permission, based on lottery results, sent via campus email.
- Friday, February 28, 2014– Deadline for accepting off-campus permission (4:30PM).