Requests for Housing Accommodation Based on a Medical, Physical, Psychological, or Other Disability-Related Need
PLEASE NOTE: THE DEADLINE FOR SPRING 2015 HOUSING ACCOMMODATION REQUESTS WAS NOVEMBER 21, 2014.
This deadline was established to enable the College sufficient time to review requests and for consideration to be given to specific housing-related needs for students with disabilities before the complex housing assignment process for all Dickinson students begins. If you wish to seek a housing accommodation request for subsequent semesters, we urge you to take not of the guidance and deadlines posted in the Disability Accommodation Request Procedures for College Housing. Late or incomplete requests for housing this semester will not automatically carry over.
If you have a need for a housing accommodation which has arisen for the first time, after the deadline, Disability Services will strive to meet such need as soon as reasonably possible given the limited availability of housing options following the assignment process.
Requests for housing accommodations for the Fall '15 semester are to be submitted between March 9 and March 27, 2015, and must be supported by documentation meeting the college's guidelines for documenting a disability. Please refer to the Disability Accommodation Request Procedures for College Housing for specific policy information and guidelines regarding housing accommodation requests and documentation.
It is important that students seeking a housing accommodation for Fall '15 begin the process sufficiently early so as to comply with the posted deadline of March 27, 2015 for all needed documentation.
Please be advised that requests for particular housing assignments based on a student’s preference, rather than need, for a particular type of living environment, location, or desire for a quiet, undisturbed place to study, will not be honored. Accordingly, single room accommodations are reserved for individuals whose documentation illustrates substantial needs, and for whom a standard housing assignment with a roommate is not viable.
Students seeking a housing accommodation will need to submit the appropriate documentation to the Director of Learning Skills and Disability Services. Documentation must include:
- Disability Disclosure and Accommodation Request - submitted electronically through the ACCOMMODATE platform.
- Disability Documentation Form for College Housing - completed by the student's health care provider and sent directly to Marni Jones via email, fax, or mail.
- Documentation of the disability - Each disability has specific guidelines for proper documentation.
Documentation and requests should be submitted to Marni Jones, Director of Learning Skills and Disability Services, by any one of the following means:Fax: 717-245-1618
Mail: Disability Services, Academic Advising, Dickinson College
Biddle House, P.O. Box 1773
Carlisle, PA 17013
Housing Accommodation Request Deadlines:
- For current Dickinson students, the submission and review period for housing accommodation requests for the Spring 2015 semester was November 3-21, 2014. For the 2015-2016 school year, the review period is March 9-27, 2015. After this time (which allows for documentation review and communications with care providers), the housing lottery will take place, so it is critical that requests for accommodations take place before the March 27th deadline.
- For incoming Dickinson students, the submission and review period for housing accommodation requests for the 2015-16 school year is May 11- May 29, 2015. After this time, general housing assignments will be made, so it is critical that requests for accommodations be made by the May 29th deadline.
Again, for complete information regarding housing accommodations, you are encouraged to download Disability Accommodation Request for Housing - Procedures, Guidelines, and Deadlines.