Be Well - Be Calm - Be Engaged
The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has created an atmosphere of unrest and turmoil in our lives. As the environment evolves, we continue to strive for some balance and look for ways to offer support to the Dickinson community.
One way to find a small measure of balance is through mindful meditation. The brief meditation of compassion shown below is a great way to center yourself and find some inner peace, while also being compassionate to others in the world aroound you:
May I be well - May I be happy - May I be peaceful
May my family/friends be well - May they be happy - May they be peaceful
May the world be well - May the world be happy - May the world be peaceful
(Meditation source: Blue Lotus Buddhist Temple, Carlisle PA)
Human Resource Services
Pennsylvania Department of Health Resources
- Pennsylvania COVID-19 Viral Testing Sites
- Self-Isolation after COVID-19 Testing Pending Results
- COVID-19 Close Contact Checklist
Additional resource: For a safe, secure platform to inform your COVID-19 contacts, check out www.tellyourcontacts.com.
Partnership for Better Health
UPMC Healthcare Provider COVID-19 Resources
- UPMC COVID-19 Vaccine Registration Portal Link
- UPMC Coronavirus Information & Updates
- UPMC Healthcare Update - April 3, 2020
- "I have been tested --- now what?",
- "I am not being tested --- now what?"
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Coronavirus Updates & Information
- COVID-19 Information & Updates: Johns Hopkins Medicine is using its expertise to address the new coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, treat patients, protect visitors and staff and provide up-to-date information to the public. Visit this link to keep up-to-date on the most recent updates and developments from the experts on the COVID-19 pandemic.
Emotional Wellbeing Resources
Resources for keeping your cool and staying calm and focused in these trying times are listed below:
- CALM is an app that offers a 31-day challenge (and more) to help with free stress reduction and guided meditations!
- 10% Happier is a team of dedicated professionals offering a daily chat and free guided meditation sessions each weekday at 3 p.m. (EST) to help everyone during this stressful time. This group is also offering a FREE Coronavirus Sanity Guide for anyone who is interested.
- Lehigh Valley Health Network offers free Mindful Based Stress Reduction Exercises to help alleviate stress and anxiety.
Special Resources for Adults, Kids & Teens
- Tips to Keep Emotions in Check: COVID-19 | The Psychological Effects webinar (viewing time: 15 minutes) compliments of Health Advocate
- COVID-19 | Combatting Side Effects of Social Isolation compliments of Health Advocate
- COVID-19 | Supporting At-Home Children compliments of Health Advocate
- Aetna Resources for Living | Coping with COVID-19
- Free Public Resources for All
- Social Connections
- MindCheck for Emotional Wellbeing
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
The Wellness Center
- Coping with the Help of Pets, an article written and provided by Carrie Bowerman, MSW, LCSW
The Clarke Forum for Contemporary Issues offers live webinars and programs virtually at times.
The Clarke Forum for Contemporary Issues, founded in 1994 with a generous gift from Trustee Henry Clarke, brings the unique strengths of an interdisciplinary liberal arts perspective to the critical examination of pressing contemporary issues. The Clarke Forum believes that critical reflection and the informed exchange of divergent ideas across academic disciplines improves knowledge and understanding. Visit their website (linked above) to view upcoming programs and events!
The Center for Civic Learning & Action
The mission of the Center for Civic Learning & Action (CCLA) is to develop ethical civil leaders who collaborate in the pursuit of just and resilient communities. Visit and view CCLA webpages (link above) to find programs, events and activities in our local community that Dickinsonians may be involved with at this time.
Financial Wellbeing Resources
- TIAA offers free webinars each month.Click the link to view upcoming webinars as a TIAA participant or as a guest - these webinars are open to everyone.
- HTA Financial Services will be offers Medicare webinars to employees at different times during the year. Sign-up to participate in Totara!
Free Fitness Options
Remember to take time to take care of yourself with some exercise and fitness activities:
- Wellness Yoga Online for Dickinsonians is offered at different times live via ZOOM duringi the academic year! Register for these sessions in Totara to participate!
- Simply Moving Guide: Cumberland & Perry County Rails to Trails Guide offers an amazing overview of the public parks, trails and recreation options in Cumberland and Perry counties. Take a few minutes to see all of these options and explore!
- Fizikaflex Exercise Guide is a FREE resource and exercise program designed by a Dickinson alum, Martha Harris ’77, who has provided us with this to share with the campus community to promote overall wellbeing! Ms. Harris (CEO and Founder of Fizikaflex) created the Fizikaflex fitness app currently being designed and tested. To learn more about Fizikaflex, simply visit the Fizikaflex website or send an email to email@example.com.
- There are many other free online fitness options at this time including Planet Fitness and YMCA360!
Important Note: It is highly recommended that you check with your physician before beginning any new physical fitness routine. Also, avoid walking on days with any extreme weather conditions.
Other campus partners and departments also offer resources that might be helpful to explore at the challenging time in our lives: