NON-DICKINSON SEMESTER AND ACADEMIC YEAR PROGRAMS
As Dickinson maintains a robust array of both Dickinson in and strategic Partner programs that contribute to our campus internationalization efforts, allow for the exchange of students, scholars and ideas and support and complement our curriculum, it is rare that students do non-Dickinson programs. Students who wish to study off campus on a non-Dickinson program must meet with the Dean and Director of Education Abroad (firstname.lastname@example.org), and complete a special petition application demonstrating compelling reasons the program meets their academic needs better than an existing Dickinson or Partner program. This is a rigorous vetting process and students should not expect that an exception will be made.
Dickinson does not maintain a list of pre-approved programs; rather, programs are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Institutional financial aid does not transfer to a non-Dickinson, non-partner program.
SUMMER STUDY ON NON-DICKINSON PROGRAMS
Students interested in participating in non-Dickinson study abroad programs during the summer are not required to complete a Dickinson application. However, the following steps must be followed in order to transfer in any credit from summer study abroad programs:
- Students must fill out an Enrollment in Another Institution Form, listing the course (or courses) they plan to take.
- Students seeking major, minor, or distribution credit must obtain signatures from the chairs of the relevant academic departments, who may want to see course descriptions and/or syllabi.
- Students should then bring the signed form to the Center for Global Study and Engagement (CGSE), along with an unofficial copy of their transcripts.
- CGSE will check to make sure that the student has at least a 2.0 GPA (the minimum required to transfer in credit); that the proposed summer course does not duplicate coursework the student has already completed for credit at Dickinson; and that the student has not already transferred in four summer and/or January-term credits (the maximum number allowed).
- If everything is in order, CGSE will forward the Enrollment in Another Institution Form to the Registrar's Office, where it will be kept on file pending receipt of the summer transcript.
- Students must earn grades of "C" or better in order to transfer in credits. Courses taken for pass/fail will not be accepted for transfer credit.