Mission, Values, and Student Learning Outcomes
The Norman M. Eberly Multilingual Writing Center consists of both English and foreign language writing tutoring services. The English writing tutors work with native and nonnative speakers of English, and the foreign language writing tutors work with writers of Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
The mission of the Norman M. Eberly Multilingual Writing Center is to support writers from all disciplines and of all levels and abilities as they develop their writing processes and increase their repertoire of writing skills. To that end, the writing tutors are trained to:
- engage students in conversation about their writing at any point in the writing process;
- address the agenda set by writers;
- offer relevant feedback and strategic techniques that would enable writers to improve their drafts;
- increase student engagement in writing tasks.
As a result of this mission and these core values, writers should be able to:
- develop a functional writing process tailored to the writing task;
- recognize areas for improvement in their drafts;
- implement the skills and techniques needed to move the writing process forward.