Psychology majors are invited to apply for Psi Chi membership if they meet the following minimum requirements:
- Psychology GPA of 3.50
- Overall GPA of 3.25
- Three completed psychology courses (including PSYC 210)
*Please note that these requirements are different from those listed on the Psi Chi official website (http://psichi.org/) because eligibility is determined by the individual chapters (i.e., we will follow the Dickinson chapter rules). All grades on your current Dickinson transcript are used to calculate your overall GPA and psychology GPA. In addition, grades from courses taken at DIS can be included in the calculation of your overall and psych GPA (you must submit your DIS transcript with your Psi Chi application).
Application Process (Due by Wednesday, April 6th, 2022):
- Complete the Psi Chi application form (click here).
- Bring an unofficial copy of your transcript and cash or check in the amount of $55 (made payable to Dickinson College) to Angie Elkerton, Psychology Technician in K157-Tech by Wednesday, April 6th, 2022. If you are not selected for membership in Psi Chi, your cash or check will be refunded.
Contact Amy McMurdy if you have questions.
Psi Chi: Why? (taken from Psi Chi website)
- Psi Chi provides international recognition for academic excellence in psychology, an honor which can be noted on employment applications, vitae, and resumés.
- On the local level, chapter membership facilitates leadership development, interaction with other students who have similar interests, and service to the department and institution sponsoring Psi Chi.
- Psi Chi chapter activities provide students with valuable opportunities to develop one-on-one relationships with professors who can stimulate their interest in psychology, involve them in research projects, and write meaningful letters of recommendation for them.
- Psi Chi encourages student research at the regional and national as well as local levels through undergraduate and graduate research award competitions and provides opportunities for students to present research and receive certificates recognizing their accomplishments at regional and national psychological association meetings.
- Psi Chi provides over $300,550 annually in awards and grants to its student members, faculty advisors, and chapters.
- Membership is for life. The initial society registration fee of $55 is the only payment ever made to the organization, which does not charge dues.
- As a member of Psi Chi, you are eligible for special offers from APA and APS when you join as a student member from either organization
- Psi Chi is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS), which offers in conjunction with the Washington Internship Institute (WII), $500 merit-based scholarships to members of Psi Chi who apply and are selected to WII's internship program. Learn more about the scholarships at these pages: ACHS | WII