Skip To Content Skip To Menu Skip To Footer

How to Apply

Continuing Domestic Applicants (Citizen & Eligible Noncitizens)

Continuing Domestic Applicants (Citizen & Eligible Noncitizens)

Note: Continuing international students are not required to file new applications each year.

The application deadline for returning and continuing students for the 2024-25 academic year is May 1.   If supporting documents are required (e.g., verification materials, copies of tax returns and W-2 forms), they should be provided to us before the end of May, if possible. We release financial aid awards to returning students whose files are complete in late June (before billing statements are sent).

Follow these steps if you are a continuing student applying for need-based aid from Dickinson:

Step 1:  Complete the 2024-25 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®). The FASFA will collect 2022 tax information. The 2024-25 FAFSA is significantly different from previous versions, due to this, we strongly recommend reviewing our FAFSA Simplification webpage to familiarize yourself with the changes. Please file before May 1.  NOTE: This is Dickinson's deadline. Some state grant deadlines are earlier than this. See FAFSA instructions for details.  Dickinson's FAFSA code is 003253.  

Step 2:  Complete Dickinson’s General and Upperclass Applications here.  Please select “Login” or “Login with Your Institution” to get started.  The General Application must be completed before you can complete the Upperclass Application and to be considered for the college’s endowed scholarships.  If you do not want your information shared with scholarship donor’s, you must select “I do not authorize the release of my information” on the General Application.  The Upperclass Application is required and may affect your need-based Dickinson Grant eligibility if this is not completed.  These forms are to be completed by the student.  Completion time is estimated at 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of extracurricular activities in which you participate.  Complete by May 1.  These applications are also available from SSB-> Student Services-> Financial Aid-> General Links-> General and Upperclass Applications.

Step 3:  If your FAFSA is selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education, our office will send an email detailing what information is needed and how to obtain it. If you need a copy of the 2024-25 Dependent Verification Worksheet, click here. Independent student, click here.  Please contact us if you have questions or need help.

CSS PROFILE Application

Students who believe that they will need additional financial assistance from Dickinson and/or those who have not previously applied for need-based Dickinson Grant should submit the CSS Profile so that we may assess or reassess their financial need. Signed copies of current year tax returns are also required.  You may also want to consider filling out a new CSS Profile if there will be a sibling enrolled in a full-time undergraduate institution for the upcoming school year. We encourage all first time applicants to review the CSS Profile FAQs before completing the CSS Profile. 

Note: Students whose financial circumstances remain the same as the previous year need only submit the FAFSA and the Dickinson General and Upperclass Applications.

Other Items of Note

If you have a Direct Loan for the current year, you will not have to complete a new promissory note.  We will determine your maximum eligibility for the upcoming year and notify you via your award notice.  If you wish to reduce or decline all or part of the loan, please contact our office.

PLUS and Private Alternative Loans typically require a new application each year. There is no absolute deadline, but applications should be completed by early July for funds to be on hand at the beginning of the semester.

Parents may also take advantage of a monthly payment option through Nelnet Campus Commerce.  The fall enrollment deadline is August 3rd, and spring is December 31st.  

Students and parents can submit electronic files to the Financial Aid Office by using our Secure Document Upload Form.