Skip To Content Skip To Menu Skip To Footer

International Scholars

Responsibilities of a J-1 Scholar

The J-1 visa is issued for educational and cultural exchange, and J-1 scholars are expected to return to their home countries when the exchange program is complete. J-1 scholars are responsible for complying with US Federal Regulations and laws governing the J visa.  Failure to do so will violate their legal status in the US. Contact Dickinson’s Responsible Officer and Alternate Responsible Officers (RO and AROs) in the Center for Global Study and Engagement if you have any questions about your immigration status.

Your J-1 responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:

Abide by Employment Regulations: Scholars may conduct research or teach only at Dickinson College as described on the DS-2019 form, unless specially authorized ahead of time by the Responsible Officer (or Alternate Responsible Officer/ARO) to give a lecture or consult at another institution.

Obtain travel signature prior to international travel: Scholars should obtain the signature of the RO prior to traveling internationally for re-entry into the US.

Maintain adequate health insurance: J-1 scholars and their dependents are required to maintain adequate health insurance throughout their stay in the US.  Willful failure to do so will lead to program termination. Learn more about your health insurance.

Report changes in program to your Responsible Officer RO: Scholars must notify the RO whenever there is a change in their academic program or program dates.  Such changes may include additional duties, changes in funding, or similar.

Report address changes to your Responsible Officer (RO): US Federal Regulations require that all J-1 visitors report a change of address within 10 days to the Responsible Officer (or Alternate Responsible Officer/ARO) at the institution.  Willful or negligent failure to do so will lead to the termination of the scholar’s program.  Exchange Visitors who are subject to NSEERS "Special Registration" are also required to complete Form AR-11 to report their address change.

Apply for any extensions prior to the DS-2019 expiration: Scholars who intend to stay at Dickinson College longer than the date specified on their DS-2019 must contact the RO at least one month prior to the current expiration date. Extensions cannot be provided indefinitely, and different categories have different time limits. Short-term scholars have only six (6) months to complete their program.

Receive transfer authorization to accept a J-1 program at a different institution: If a scholar wishes to transfer to another institution, the scholar must contact the RO at least one month prior to the completion of the current program.

Report Departure Date and Reason to the RO: Sometimes scholars leave Dickinson early or unexpectedly due to a variety of reasons. Scholars are required to inform the RO if they plan to leave the college before the scheduled end of their program.

Depart the US within the 30-day Grace Period: Scholars must depart the US within 30 days of the DS-2019 program end date unless they have applied for a change of status with USCIS.

Exchange Visitors must keep their passports valid: If your passport will expire during your program, talk to your RO about the timing of your passport renewal.