The African American Alumni Association of Dickinson College (also known as the Dickinson Black Alumni Association) was formed in June 2021. The purpose of the group is to support African American students, to facilitate their academic and personal success at Dickinson, and to serve as a support network after their graduation.
In addition, the Association strives to provide a space for alumni who identify as African American or Black so they can connect and network with one another, support diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives across campus, advise and counsel the College as appropriate, and make visible their experiences and contributions to the history of Dickinson College.
Membership in the African American Alumni Association is open to all alumni regardless of race, while focusing and centering on the experiences and interests of all African American individuals, or those who identify as Afrocentric, who have graduated from Dickinson College, as well as those who have expressed interest in the mission of the Association.
The current Executive Committee of the African American Alumni Association includes the following individuals, who were elected to serve until July 1, 2023:
- President Patrick Chang ’72
- Vice President Dr. Kali Avans ‘11
- Secretary Leonard Brown ‘92
- Treasurer Fincourt Shelton ‘73
The group has several current priorities, including:
- Partnering with the Popel Shaw Center for Race & Ethnicity to develop a mentoring program for current students
- Ensuring the contributions and accomplishments of African American alumni are visible on campus
- Marshalling financial resources to be used in support of programs that support the group’s interests
The association currently convenes on the last Saturday of each month from 12 – 1 p.m. Eastern.
Alumni interested in getting involved should register for their first meeting through Dickinson’s Alumni Events page to receive dial-in information. Subsequent meeting information will be provided to previous participants via mailing list, which is managed by the Executive Committee of the association.