Visual Resources Center 35mm slide drawers. Photographed by Andrew Bale.
- Access Ceramics: A site that has a growing collection of digital images of contemporary ceramic works. Thus far the contributing 300+ artists encompasses a broad and varied scope of ceramists in the World. Per each image there is a License--click on the hyperlink to review what the artist will allow you to do with that image.
- ARTstor (tutorial): You must be affiliated with Dickinson College or another institution that subscribes to ARTstor. Contains over 1+ million digital images in humanities, social sciences, art, anthropology, amongst other discourses. The image database also contains QuickTime Virtual Reality architectural based views.
- Bridgeman Education Image Bank: Copyright cleared educational use image database. Over 500,000 images that can be downloaded for fair use purposes, placed in their own presentation system, or filed in your personal account. Each user must register initially for the free trial, which is 14 days.
- Dickinson College's Visual Resources Collection: still in process, but continuing to grow. You must be affiliated with Dickinson College and be on-campus to use this service.
- Europeana: European based digital images, videos, and exhibitions. Hundreds of European institutions that aggregate their material such as, prints, sculpture, drawings, architecture, photographs, and paintings. Commons copyright friendly and open source.
- Getty Images: Photographs for non-commercial use. This use is intended for embedding photographs within the Editorial and Creative Stocks into websites, blogs, and other social media platforms. Millions of images are available.
- Getty Images Open Content Program: 87,000 images available for fair use purposes based on the Getty Search Gateway portal. The available collections are 16th through 18th century paintings, drawings, manuscripts, photographs, antiquities, sculpture,
decorative arts, artists' sketchbooks, watercolors, and rare prints, besides thirty years of Italian art and architecture by the German photographer Max Hutzel.
- Ideas Project Collection: Collection regarding Asian based images. For instance, the collections are Japanese Religion, Beijing 1988, Religious Sites of Maharashtra, Singapore Streets, ASIANetwork Luce Asian Art Undergraduate Project, Hugh Dean East Asian Pamphlet Collection pertaining to Chinese pamphlets from the 1930's-1950's.
- National Gallery of Art (Washington DC): NGAs Image Collection contains approximately 20,000 images for Fair Use downloading. The download for presentation purposes will be 1200 pixels, while there are images available for publication at 3000 pixels. Not all images within their collection will be available for online use. If you utilize one of these images please credit the image. If you need further assistance regarding please contact me.
- National Portrait Gallery (London, England): Approximately 87,000 images from The National Portrait Gallery Collection are accessible for academic and non-commercial purposes. The licensing will vary by image. Click on the image, then underneath the image there will be Use this Image. If you click on that link there will be more information on the licensing of that image. The academic, "low resolution" image should suffice for many purposes at 2400 pixels per side and 300dpi. If you would prefer a high resolution image, please contact me and I'll acquire one for the VRC.
- SPIRO: Slide Photographs and Image Retrieval Online Image database brought by UC Berkeley that specializes in architecture based images. Please be sure to check the copyright information for each image. For further information please contact me.
- The Walters Museum of Art: 20,000+ images on Creative Commons Licensing in Wikimedia Commons. The museums permanent collection consists of Ancient, Ancient Americas, Asian, Islamic, Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Art Collections. Please review the Creative Commons hyperlink above for appropriate citation with this collection.
- Wellcome Images: The images can be downloaded in high resolution and users are able to freely copy, distribute, edit, manipulate, and build upon for personal or commercial use, since they are being released under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) license. The images range from medical manuscripts to etchings by Van Gogh and Goya.
- Web Gallery of Art: Image Database that holds approximately 26,000 digital images based on European Paintings from circa 1000-1900.
- WorldImages: Approximately 80,000+ images are held in this image database brought by San Jose State University. Please check the conditions of use for each image that is utilized in your project. For further inquiries please contact me at the information below.
- Yale Digital Collections: Approximately 500,000 images thus far from various collections, such as, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, AdHoc Image and Text on the History of Christianity, Arabic and Middle Eastern Library, Arts of the Book, Lewis Walpole Library, Medical Digital Library, Divinity Digital Library, Manuscripts and Archives, Ross Archive of African Images, Yale University Art Gallery, and more. Please take note to use IE or Mozilla/Firefox as your web browser and that some collections will not be obtainable, unless you're part of the Yale community. These collections are: Birren Collection of Books on Color, Music Theory Treatises, and the Visual Resources Collection.