Types of Mail
Mail is picked up at the Carlisle Post Office twice a day at 8:30 am and 11:30 am.
Other carriers (UPS, FedEx, etc.) deliver mail at various times during the day. All packages containing a tracking number are processed and are available for pickup. Packages not picked up will be delivered to your department/office in the afternoon and will require a signature. Please feel free to contact the mail center when looking for a package. We can better serve you if you can provide a tracking number.
COD (Collect On Delivery)
The mail center does not accept or hold COD's they are returned to sender.
The mail center does not sell money orders of any type. They can be obtained at the Local Post Office and at the Quick Stop Deli located on West Louther Street.
Campus Mail Deliveries
Campus mail is delivered once a day to each office/department. Exceptions to this rule could occur during the summer, over a postal holiday, inclement weather, or campus occurrences that would delay the mail delivery.
USPS outgoing mail leaves the mail center twice a day at 11:30 am and 3:30 pm Monday-Friday.
UPS is picked up at 4:00 pm.
Fed-Ex must be in the FAS mail center by 3:00 pm.
Before sending your envelopes to the mail center:
- All departmental outgoing mail must have their postage number displayed in the upper left hand corner on each piece of mail. Presumably mail will be sent first class unless noted otherwise.
- Be sure to have the recipients address clearly written or typed on the envelope and always use a return address. If you want the mail to go UPS, FEDEX or DHL you can tape an address label to the piece of mail with your department name and we can return it to you with the tracking label attached.
- Mail without postage numbers will be returned to the office/department.
Envelopes over ¼ inch must be sealed before coming to the mail center.
Envelopes classified as a flat must have the flap on the long side at the top of the envelope for the postage meter to seal.
Flaps at the side must be sealed before coming to the mail center.
Invitation envelopes must be sealed before coming to the mail center.
All intra-office mail must have:
- The recipient’s name PRINTED clearly.
- Name of the office where the recipient is located.
- And a return address.
Please cross off all previous names and departments/offices so we clearly know the person and destination of the intra-office piece of mail.
Outgoing international mail must be kept separate from the domestic mail by rubber banding the air mail pieces or using a paper clip.
When addressing International mail, the address must be in English and the country must appear on the bottom line of the address.
All packages, unless a document less than one pound, must be accompanied with the proper custom form:
- Green form (PS Form 2976) – less than four pounds
- White form (PS Form 2976-A) – more than four pounds
All customs forms must be completed by the sender:
- Sender’s name and address
- Addressee’s name and address
- Specific detail under contents
- Specific costs under value
- Check how mail is being sent
- Check type of mail
- Sign and date
The mail center staff is not responsible for forwarding mail for faculty, administrators, or staff that leaves the college, their former department/office is responsible for forwarding all first class mail and magazines free of charge (unless mail piece has been opened). You cannot forward standard mail or non-profit mail
When forwarding, block out all barcodes with a permanent black magic marker. Black barcodes are on the address side and the orange fluorescent bar codes is on the opposite or backside of the mail piece. Both of these bar codes need to be blacked out. The new address label should cover the old address. Do not cover the name, just the address.
Mail cannot be opened if you want to return the mail piece or package at no additional cost. Endorse with “Return to Sender”. If you want to cancel a subscription with the return, write Cancel under the “Return to Sender”.
FAS Mail Center Hours
Monday - Friday
9 am - 4:30 pm
Student Mailroom is accessible:
at the convenience of students
Package Pickup Hours
Monday - Friday
10 am - 6 pm
10 am - 2 pm
Zair Ulsh: 717-245-1298
Package Pickup: 717-245-1973
All offices are closed on Sunday
Hours may vary during exams, breaks and holidays.