Health, Safety and Insurance

Planning for your health and safety while abroad is particularly important. You want to be prepared to make the most of this opportunity and the time to ask questions is not when you are in immediate need of health care services. Take a few minutes to read over these frequently asked questions and feel free to contact the Center for Global Study and Engagement if you have additional concerns.  

All Dickinson College students going abroad are covered under a Dickinson-funded policy through CHUBB ACE American Insurance Company. Dickinson also provides all students with medical and travel security assistance through International SOS. Services or treatments not covered by the Chubb global medical plan are the responsibility of the person who incurs them. Please review the following information: 


  • Students can access to the CHUBB ACE Summary of Benefits in their Dickinson application portal


  • Visit the International SOS website to log-in to the Dickinson portal with the College's unique Member ID to research your travel destinations. Call the Higher Ed dedicated telephone #: 215-942-8478 (ISOS accepts collect calls).  The member ID is shared with students before they go abroad. 

Voluntary Personal Property & Liability Insurance for Students, Faculty, and Staff 

Students, faculty, and staff are not covered by Dickinson for personal liability, including the loss or theft of personal property. It is the responsibility of each program participant to purchase liability insurance, if needed. Students who bring laptops are advised to purchase adequate coverage. Check first to see whether the homeowner's insurance of your parents/guardian will cover personal liability while overseas. Normally, a copy of the police report filed at the time of loss or theft will be required by the insurer before any claim will be considered. 

CGSE, Health and Safety