Advancing the mission of the college requires advancing in our own personal development. Human Resource Services offers several workshops to make each of us more effective both inside and outside of the work environment. Beyond improving our own individual capacity, these sessions are an excellent opportunity to meet colleagues from across the college and understand the goals and challenges each of us face. To learn more about our Personal Effectiveness workshops, please review the program options shared below.
To sign up for any professional development or wellness program, please register online through CLIQ.
For more information, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
A crucial conversation is a discussion between two or more people where stakes are high, opinions vary, and emotions run strong. As you know, these conversations, when handled poorly or ignored, cause teams and organizations to get less-than-desirable results.
The program is designed to achieve spirited, yet respectful, dialogue helping to incorporate better ideas and high-quality decisions. The training experience introduces a set of eight principles that build alignment, agreement, and interpersonal communication. During this training participants will acquire skills enabling them to:
- Resolve disagreements—accurately address concerns by talking respectfully, candidly and skillfully with someone in a safe way
- Build acceptance rather than resistance—give and receive feedback in a way that enhances relationships and improves results
- Speak persuasively, not abrasively–effectively talk about high-stake, emotional and controversial topics
- Foster teamwork–get the right people involved in a way that ensures better decision-making and guarantees commitment and conviction.
7 Habits of Highly Effective People
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is designed for individuals to apply timeless principles that yield positive results, witness improved communication, build and strengthen relationships, increase influence, and gain better focus on critical priorities. At the end of the program, participants will be able to:
- Prioritize tasks
- Improve working relationships
- Become more efficient
- Manage multiple tasks
- Enhance communication skills
- Voice Opinions with Confidence
- Be patient while listening to others
- Increase self confidence
- Be more assertive
- Improve organizational skills
Everyone knows an organization can’t improve unless its people do. And people don’t change unless they are willing and able to do so. Change Anything is a breakthrough application of powerful social science skills to equip everyone with the ability to succeed at self-directed change. Change Anything skills help employees and leaders take charge of their own change in ways that lead to greater engagement, performance, health, and personal happiness. Change Anything will teach participants how to:
- Diagnose what’s keeping them stuck in the status quo.
- Create change plans that lead to desirable and lasting results.
- Translate performance feedback into action.
- Use six sources of influence to make individual change inevitable.
All employees are invited to this new learning format which occurs each month. Sessions are designed based on the goals of the college’s strategic plan and needs of the employee community. Lunch is provided at each session, but participation is limited to 20 individuals to ensure an interactive learning environment. Topics addressed during previous learning lunches include:
- Employment Law
- Setting Personal and Professional Priorities
- Dealing with Difficult People
- Emotional Intelligence
- Preparing for a Campus Emergency
Administrative Professionals Certificate
This four-session series is intended for administrative professionals in both the academic and administrative departments. Participants will take part in interactive sessions designed to provide greater knowledge and confidence in their challenging roles. Sessions will include:
- Technical Skills for the Administrative Professional, Presented by Jeanette Gribble, User Services
- Customer Service, Presented by Mary Foltz, Service Counts!
- Business Communications, Presented by Office of Marketing & Communications
- Being Influential, Presented by Rhonda Campbell, Rhonda Campbell Consulting Solutions
Individual Performance Profile
This program is designed for current and aspiring supervisors to provide an inventory of both strengths and development opportunities by receiving performance feedback from their direct supervisor, peers, direct reports (if applicable), and other professionals outside of the college who are familiar with the individual’s performance.
Once the feedback has been provided, employees will be given a comprehensive report summarizing the feedback received based on a list of sixteen leadership competencies. During this confidential process, each participant will take part in follow-up discussions with a certified facilitator to interpret the results as well as create an individual development plan through a direct partnership with his or her direct supervisor.
This individualized program is designed for supervisors, managers, and directors to help increase their overall effectiveness and produce the desired results they are looking to achieve. Participants in this program work with a certified performance coach to help identify and address existing concerns, recognize strengths, and identify unique passions. Participants are responsible for establishing agendas before each coaching session and completing tasks that will help them in achieving their success. Sessions occur monthly throughout the course of a semester. Participation in the program can take place either during the fall (September – November) or spring (January – March) semesters.
Preparing for an on-campus interview? Haven’t updated your resume in years? Have no idea what strengths you bring to the workplace? The staff at the Career Center is available to provide you and your family members with valuable resources including interviewing advice, resume critiques, and much more. To schedule an appointment, please contact ext. 1740 or email email@example.com.