Majors: computer science, philosophy
Hometown: Woodstock, Vermont
Job title: software engineer
What are you most anticipating about your career or postgraduate pursuits?
To build real world software applications.
What are some of the defining moments of your Dickinson experience?
Staying up late with friends and bonding with my major.
Infiniteach, Chicago, Illinois – software development intern, June 2017 – January 2018
- Startup that creates accessibility apps for various cultural institutions; primarily for kids with autism.
- Developed customizable trivia game on Android OS for children with autism to increase memory retention and cognitive function (Kotlin, Android Studios, Git, JSON).
- Constructed the trivia game’s user interface with special consideration given to improving the experience of players on the autism spectrum, focusing on enjoyment and ease of use.
- Worked closely with key members of management team to create strategies for both technological and institutional growth; participated in team meetings, strategy sessions, and software reviews.
Youth Guidance Chicago, Illinois – computer science intern, June 2017 – August 2017
- Non-profit that provides a network of mentors for youth from under-resourced communities; Collaborated to build a new data system to better store sensitive student information.
- Implemented and designed an optimized solution for database Exchange Transfer Load (ETL) using Java and SQL, reducing total project length from 100 to 25 hours (Java, SQL).
- Trained mentors on front-end usage of new system by demonstrating key features and common errors.
- Crafted automated forms that allowed users to enter critical student information, reducing human error and augmenting data collection capabilities.
TMW Center for Early Learning and Public Health at UChicago, Chicago, Ill. – design intern, June 2018 – August 2018
- Designed and built a wireframe for an iPad application to educate new parents on best practices for speaking with newborns, focus on creating simple and engaging user experience for parents across the socioeconomic spectrum (Axure, JustInMind, IOS).
- Analyzed user experience and accessibility of application by iteratively testing different design prototypes, leading to enhanced functionality and control flow.
- Brainstormed with team of interns, consultants, and project managers weekly to devise potential features to be built into the application.
Hometown: Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Employer: Cityspade Inc.
Job title: business development representative
ANJIE Law Firm (Shenzhen), China.
TAKE THE NEXT STEPS
Published April 30, 2019