Conduct Resources for Parents and Guardians

In the Dean of Students Office, we value partnering with the parents, guardians, or those providing support to our students. As such, the information below is provided to assist you in supporting your student through the conduct process at Dickinson.

Partnership with Parents/Guardians

We hope that our graduates are well prepared for the complex society they will be facing, and working as partners with you, we can help your student work towards this preparation by learning from their decisions. It is important to note that we do not share hearing outcomes with parents/guardians unless notification has been sanctioned by the hearing officer or panel, which often occurs when your student's status has been altered or is in jeopardy of being altered. If you have specific questions regarding the contact process, please contact the Dean of Students Office at 717-245-1676 and we will be happy to answer them.

Frequently Asked Questions from Parents/Guardians

Should I come to the hearing?
Often when students’ status at the College is in jeopardy, students wish to have their parent(s)/guardian(s) present. You are welcome to come to campus for the hearing to be a support source. You cannot be present in the room during the hearing, however.

Can I speak for my student?
No. Parents/Guardians cannot speak on the behalf of their student throughout the process.

What is the best way to assist my student through this process?
We suggest clarifying the expectations you have with your student, asking questions of your student, and clarifying any concerns. We also suggest you ask the student what they need from you during this process, as it encourages self-reflection and self-advocacy. Finally, it is useful to review the conduct process with your student so they are fully prepared for the hearing and know what to expect.

Can a lawyer represent my student through this process?
No. Lawyers are not able to represent a student or organization during an on-campus hearing. Ours is not a legal process, but an educational one.

Will this be on my students’ permanent record?
Outcomes of informal resolutions do not appear on a student or organization’s conduct record; however, these outcomes can be taken into consideration if addition violations occur. Affirmative findings of responsibility in matters resolved by formal resolution proceedings are part of a student’s conduct record. Once a student has been found responsible for violating the Community Standards by formal resolution proceedings, all records of matters addressed by informal resolution shall be transferred to and become a part of a student’s conduct record. Such records shall be used in reviewing any further conduct, developing sanctions, and shall remain a part of a student’s conduct record for all purposes.  Generally suspension, expulsion, and withdrawal pending disciplinary action are permanently noted on a student’s transcript. The conduct files of students who have been suspended or expelled from the College are maintained in the Dean of Students Office for no less than five years after their departure from Dickinson. In most cases, conduct files of students who have not been suspended or expelled are destroyed upon their graduation.