Six months prior to applying
- Research areas of interest, institutions, and programs.
- Talk to advisers about application requirements.
- Register and prepare for appropriate graduate admission tests.
- Investigate national scholarships.
- Obtain letters of recommendation, if appropriate"
Three months prior to applying
- Take required graduate admission tests.
- Write for application materials or request them online.
- Write your application essay.
- Check on application deadlines and rolling admissions policies.
- Register for the national application or data assembly service most programs use, if needed, for medical, dental, osteopathy, podiatry, or law school.
Fall, a year before matriculating
- Obtain letters of recommendation
- Take graduate admission tests if you haven’t already.
- Send in completed applications
Winter, before matriculating in the fall
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS Financial Aid PROFILE, if required.
Spring, before matriculating in the fall
- Check with all institutions before their deadlines to make sure your file is complete.
- Visit institutions that accept you.
- Send a deposit to your institution of choice.
- Notify other institutions that accepted you of your decision so that they can admit students on their waiting list.
- Send thank you notes to people who wrote your recommendation letters, informing them of your success.