Russian State University for the Humanities was created in 1991 as the result of the merger of the Moscow Public University (est. 1908) and the Moscow State Institute for History and Archives (est. 1930). This university was conceived as a new type of school which would combine the study of humanities with highly specialized professional education. From its very beginnings, Russian State University for the Humanities enjoyed the support and generous funding of Yeltsyn government. Thus, it was able to incorporate the rich academic resources of the former institute and attract some top faculty members from various other institutions. In addition, it was received permission to occupy the centrally located facilities, formally housing the party-run school for the ideological training of the communist apparatchiks.