Mission Statement & Core Values
The Dickinson College Department of Public Safety is a service unit committed to the support and advancement of the educational purposes of Dickinson College. We are deeply committed to setting and maintaining the highest standards for all our members. We of the Dickinson College Department of Public Safety recognize our contribution to the quality of life and a safe environment on our campus through the provision of professional law enforcement services in an educational setting. We will meet the challenge of providing these services by basing our thoughts and actions on core values. In order to provide the best possible service to the public, we recognize and support the following Mission Statement and Core Values.
- The Department of Public Safety strives for excellence in providing a safe and secure living, learning and working environment for the Dickinson College community. We will strive to engage our students in critical thought to assist in the development of the necessary skills to become effective citizen leaders.
- We recognize the need for a law enforcement presence and response, but also realize that must be a measured response designed to capture those unique educational moments. By adopting a holistic approach to community policing, our department can provide a service consistent with the Strategic Plan of the college as well as in keeping with the goals of the Division of Student Life.
- Each member of the department must provide support towards the free exchange of ideas consistent with the law and constitutional rights so fundamental to the college community. We are aware that the power to fulfill the law enforcement function is dependent upon fostering a sense of community, cooperation and respect.
- Officers will demonstrate impartial service of the law and offer service and friendship to all members of the community. Each member of the department will fully accept his or her responsibility to defend the right, to aid the distressed and to uphold the law in his or her service to the public. Our department will perform without favor or prejudice and protect the innocent.
- Integrity: We value organizational and personal integrity which is essential to the success of our department. Anything less is unacceptable. We value candor, honesty and ethical behavior in the members of our department. We are committed to uphold our positions of trust by maintaining the highest ethical standards as set forth in our code of ethics.
- Honesty: We value uncompromised honesty in all aspects of our careers and our department. We shall maintain objectivity, openness, fairness and responsibility when dealing with members of the college community and the public.
- Loyalty: We value personal commitment and loyalty as essential to the best interests of public safety and professional law enforcement. Loyalty is the foundation upon which trust is built within our department and the communities we serve.
- Commitment: We value commitment as vital to our department through the ethical performance of our duties. We will encourage and support our staff in their efforts to achieve adherence to the highest professional standards and quality of service to the public. We are committed to excellence in every sense.
- Responsibility & Accountability: We value the need for effective use of our resources and openness of our department by communication with the community members. We will be responsible for our actions, willing to admit our mistakes and ensure that our behavior earns the support and trust of all segments of the public.
- Professionalism: We value professionalism, knowing it is of the utmost importance in adhering to the principles that guide our department. We are dedicated to the vision of service and take pride in our never-ending quest to maintain excellence in law enforcement.
- Service to Our Community: We value the opportunity to provide service in a manner which is fair, courteous, responsive and efficient. An attitude of respect for, and the protection of, the worth, dignity and rights of all we serve is the foundation of our department.
- Pride: We take pride and enjoy being in our profession. We believe our work to be a source of enjoyment and satisfaction. We are proud of our accomplishments as an integral part of the Dickinson and Carlisle community. We do not take ourselves so seriously that we fail to have some fun doing what we chose to do, serving in the Law Enforcement Profession with the Department of Public Safety.