Recruitment & Selection Process
Resident Advisor Position
The Resident Advisor (RA) position plays an integral role within Residence Life & Housing. Students selected to assume this important leadership role will have significant, focused responsibility for residential life in an assigned area.
RAs are enthusiastic students and leaders who have direct influence on campus culture and develop valuable leadership skills such as communication, building rapport, and managing conflict while making a substantive contribution to the campus community.
Resident Advisor recruitment & selection process will start in December and will continue during the spring semester. The selection process is designed to help applicants get to know new people, learn about themselves, and gain important skills. To apply, candidates participate in a rigorous selection process that includes:
- Attending an Information Meeting. By attending the information sessions, you’ll learn more about the role and have an opportunity to ask questions.
- Completing an application, submitting a resume, and providing two references.
- Attending group process interview which will take place Sunday February 28, 2016, at 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
- Attending an individual interview which will take place in late February to early March.
Qualifications to Apply
- Applicants must be a currently enrolled full-time student who have completed one semester.
- Candidates must have demonstrated exemplary personal conduct in accordance with the Community Standards.
- Students currently on stayed suspension or suspension will not be considered for the position.
- Repeated behavioral or conduct related issues may also result in candidates being removed from the selection process.
- Willingness to give priority commitment to the RA position.
- Maintain a 2.75 or higher semester and cumulative GPA throughout the course of employment.
- Completed at least 8 credits before the fall 2016 semester.
- Must return early for both fall and spring academic terms for RA training and are expected to stay on campus until residence halls close for the semester.
- Will serve in an on-call rotation with other RAs periodically over the course of the academic year.
- Maintain exemplary personal conduct in accordance with the Community Standards.
- Assist in necessary aspects of the Residence Life & Housing program including opening, RA selection, closing as well as roommate agreements.
- All candidates must participate in the RA Group Process for candidacy consideration (exceptions are made for students who are abroad). Candidates must be current enrolled students at Dickinson College to be eligible to apply. Priority is given to candidates applying for the full academic year.
Documents Needed to Apply
- RA applications are available December 1, 2015
- Information Session - Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 5:00pm in Althouse 08
- Information Session- Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 12:00pm in Althouse 106
- Information Session- Monday, December 7, 2015 at 7:00pm in Althouse 08
- Information Session- Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 8:00pm in Althouse 08
- Information Session- Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 12:00pm in Althouse 08
- Information Session- Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 8:00pm in Althouse 08
- RA applications due- Sunday, February 14, 2016 by 11:59pm
- Group Process - Sunday, February 28, 2016 from 12:00pm-6:00pm (Required, unless abroad)
- Individual Interviews - Late February to early March
- Offers will be sent on a rolling basis, starting mid March.
The primary selection process occurs during the spring semester. However, in the fall a small number of positions may need to be filled for the upcoming spring semester. The positions are filled typically by alternates from our previous spring semester or past RAs returning from being abroad. However, in the event that we are unable to fill all positions using those two groups additional candidates may be considered.
For students who have worked for Residence Life & Housing at least one semester as a Resident Advisor, the following positions are available:
Community Advisor (CA)
House & Apartment Manager (HAM)