Recruitment & Selection Process
The Resident Advisor (RA) position plays an integral role within the Division of Student Development. Students selected to assume this important leadership role will have significant, focused responsibility for residential life in an assigned area.
RAs are enthusiastic students and leaders who have direct influence on campus culture and develop valuable leadership skills such as communication, building rapport, and managing conflict while making a substantive contribution to the campus community.
Resident Advisor selection occurs early in the spring semester for the following academic year. The selection process is designed to help applicants get to know new people, learn about themselves, and gain important skills. To apply, candidates participate in a rigorous selection process that includes:
- Attending an Information Meeting. By attending the information sessions, you’ll learn more about the role and have an opportunity to ask questions.
- Completing an application and submitting a resume and two references.
- Note: Students currently abroad will receive an email from Residence Life & Housing about the selection process and how to learn more about the position.
Qualifications to Apply
- Applicants must be a currently enrolled full-time student who have completed one semester.
- Candidates must have demonstrated exemplary personal conduct in accordance with the Community Standards.
- Students currently on stayed suspension or suspension will not be considered for the position.
- Repeated behavioral or conduct related issues may also result in candidates being removed from the selection process.
- Willingness to give priority commitment to the RA position.
- A genuine enthusiasm for all the Dimensions of a Dickinson education.
- Maintain a 2.75 or higher semester and cumulative GPA throughout the course of employment.
- Completed at least 8 credits before the fall 2014 semester.
- Must return early for both fall and spring academic terms for RA training and are expected to stay on campus until residence halls close for the semester.
- Will serve in an on-call rotation with other RAs periodically over the course of the academic year.
- Maintain exemplary personal conduct in accordance with the Community Standards.
- Assist in necessary aspects of the Residential Education program including opening, RA selection, closing as well as roommate agreements and community action plans.
- All candidates must participate in the RA Group Process for candidacy consideration. Candidates must be current enrolled students at Dickinson College to be eligible to apply. Priority is given to candidates applying for the full academic year.
Documents Needed to Apply
- Resident Advisor Position Agreement
- Resident Advisor Application Packet
- Resident Advisor Reference Form
- Information table in the HUB - Monday, January 27 from 11:45-12:45pm
- Information table in the HUB - Thursday, January 30 from 11:30pm-1:00pm
- Information table in the HUB - Tuesday, February 4 from 5:00-6:00pm
- Information table in the HUB - Wednesday, February 5 from 5:00-6:00pm
- Information Session - Monday, February 3 from 5:00-6:00pm in HUB SR 201
- Information Session- Thursday, February 6 from 12noon-1:00pm in Althouse 07
- Information Session- Sunday, February 9 from 4:00-5:00pm in Althouse 07
- Information Session- Wednesday, February 12 from 5:00-6:00pm in Althouse 07
- RA applications due- Monday, February 17 by 11:59pm
- Phase 1 Interviews: Group Process - Wednesday, February 26 from 6:30-9:00pm
- Phase 1 Interviews: Group Process - Thursday, February 27 from 6:30-9:00pm
- Phase 1 Interviews: Group Process - Friday, February 28 from 6:30-9:00pm
- Invitations sent inviting applicants to Phase 2 Interviews- Friday, March 7
- Phase 2 Interviews: Individual - Saturday, March 22
- Phase 2 Interviews: Individual - Sunday, March 23
- Offers sent (on a rolling basis) beginning Thursday, March 27
The primary selection process occurs during the spring semester. However, in the fall a small number of positions may need to be filled for the upcoming spring semester. The positions are filled typically by alternates from our previous spring semester or past RAs returning from being abroad. However, in the event that we are unable to fill all positions using those two groups additional candidates may be considered.