The first Benjamin Rush Award was presented in 1985 to the board chairman and chief executive officer of CBS. Recipients have included three other corporate executives; the minister of trade, industry and energy of the Republic of Korea; the director of the White House Office of Management and Budget; the deputy secretary general of the United Nations; and the chairman of the Board of Mutual Life Insurance of America.
- 2012: Charles W. Cole Jr., former president and CEO, First
Maryland Bankcorp and The National Bank of Maryland.
- 2010: Donald Graham, chairman of The Graham Group and founder
of Graham Engineering.
- 2009: William F. Greenlee, president and CEO of The Hamner
Institutes for Health Sciences and chairman and CEO of the Health Research
& Education Foundation.
- 2008: Derek Hathaway.
- 2007: Stephen Adler, editor-in-chief of BusinessWeek
- 2006: Roger W. Sant, co-founder and former chairman of AES
- 2005: Lawrence Bossidy, former CEO of Allied Signal
- 2004: Edward Gramlich, member of the Board of Governors of
the Federal Reserve System.
- 2003: Arthur Levitt, former chairman of the Securities and
- 2002: William Flynn, board chairman of Mutual of America.
- 2001: Louise Fréchette, United Nations Deputy
- 2000: Curt Weldon, U.S. Congressman.