At Dickinson, academic advising is a form of teaching, and the student-advisor relationship is primary. The Office of Academic Advising is committed to fulfilling the mission of the College: we support Dickinson students and their advisors in the pursuit of a useful liberal-arts education that prepares students for lives of engaged citizenship and leadership.
The purpose of the Academic Advising Program is to:
- Engage students in a community of inquiry by promoting self-reflection, intellectual exploration, and thoughtful planning.
- Encourage students to make responsible, independent decisions about their academic programs and the college curriculum
- Help students discover connections among their interests and courses
- Assist students as they prepare for a future after graduation.
Program Learning Goals
- Describe your sense of intellectual purpose and the connections you discovered across our curriculum
- Explain the choices you made in planning your academic program
- Articulate the relationship among your intellectual interests, civic priorities, and future aspirations
- Communicate your understanding of the value of a useful education in the liberal arts and sciences.
To our students:
Dickinson's approach to the liberal arts empowers you to make active decisions at every stage of your education. The Office of Academic Advising is here to help you design a successful four-year experience.
At Dickinson, you work directly with a member of our faculty who serves as your academic advisor. Your relationship with your advisor is vital, and the individual guidance that advisors provide is a unique virtue of a Dickinson education. The staff of the advising office provides an additional layer of support for students and their advisors. You are responsible for achieving rigorous academic standards, and the campus community is responsible for providing careful support to foster your success.
Over the course of our four-year curriculum, certain core values remain constant, such as our resolve to combine breadth and depth, our commitment to provide a useful education, and our determination to foster a global perspective. At the same time, we recognize that your needs will change as you progress towards graduation. By the time you graduate, you will have developed an increasing sense of competence and independence about your educational decisions.