Why do international students need to submit additional documentation after being accepted?

International students who need F-1 visa sponsorship to study in the U.S. are required to submit some documentation beyond what is required for the application for admission. Our requirements for documentation are driven by U.S. government regulations regarding visas for international students. The U.S. government states that Dickinson must report the following for each F-1 visa student:

  • Basic identification information (name, gender, date of birth, place of birth, citizenship)
  • Foreign residential address
  • Degree program information
  • Verification that students meet the college’s standards for English proficiency
  • Proof of funding

We can gather some information internally, such as your degree program and any financial aid provided by Dickinson. To complete the documentation, we need each international student to submit the following:

  • International Student I-20 Information Form
  • Copy of passport biographical pages
  • Proof of English proficiency, such an official TOEFL score report
  • Foreign Student Certification of Finances Form (if requested during I-20 processing)

Students who already have an F-1 visa and need to transfer sponsorship to Dickinson must also submit:

  • F-1 SEVIS Transfer Form
  • Copy of SEVIS fee receipt (I-901 Form)
  • Copy of current Form I-20
  • Copy of current F-1 visa sticker

With the additional documentation, we can create a Form I-20, which is required for an F-1 visa application at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.