Romance Language House, Reed Hall
Located in Reed Hall, the Romance Language House provides a unique, Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking living environment for students who wish to practice and improve their language skills. Parallel to this language immersion, students living in the Casa gain significant insights into the lives, customs and values of Spanish and Portuguese-speaking peoples.
In conjunction with the Portuguese Club, and assisted by the Brazilian Fulbright Teaching Assistant or Overseas Student Assistant (OSA), students organize frequent programs centered on topics related to Lusophone and Hispanic cultures.
All students who wish to live in the Casa shall apply to the Department of Spanish and Portuguese by filling out the Application (deadline for 2021-2022: May 16, 2021). The most important admission criterion is the ability and demonstrated willingness to conduct oneself at all times in Portuguese. Exceptional second-semester first-year students may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Preferences for selection will be given in the following order:
- Rising (forthcoming) Portuguese and Brazilian Studies minor students
- Students who are native or near-native speakers of Portuguese and have demonstrated interest in helping to teach their culture and values to non-native speakers
- Students who have completed Portuguese 101, 102, 200, 201, 202 or 231 or its equivalent who are minors of Portuguese and Brazilian Studies or majors of Latin American, Latinx, and Caribbean Studies and have demonstrated a commitment to studying abroad in a Portuguese-speaking country during their junior year
- Students who have not yet completed Portuguese 101, 102, 200, 201, 202 or 231, but who plan to be majors of Latin American, Latinx, and Caribbean Studies or Portuguese and Brazilian Studies minors, and have demonstrated a commitment to studying abroad in a Portuguese-speaking country during their junior year.
- Students who are taking or are going to take Portuguese 101, 102, 200, 201, 202 or 231