The new Center for Spirituality & Social Justice (formerly the Center for Service, Spirituality & Social Justice) seeks to develop a campus climate where people commit to understand, respect and appreciate others’ religious, spiritual and secular/humanist meaning-making practices. We will help all members of our community develop concrete skills to engage with differences among various worldviews and faith traditions, to confront religious intolerance on campus and in the world and to work together for the common good.
New programs for the new office:
Sustaining Spirituality: Diverse Worldviews in Dialogue for the Common Good. An Interfaith Youth Corps grant to look at the intersections of sustainability, the environment and spirituality. Some of the programs that are part of this grant include:
- Spirituality in Nature Group (SING): A monthly contemplative gathering in a local/state park co-sponsored by the College Farm, Center for Sustainability Education and the Friends of Kings Gap.
- Faculty and staff book group looking at the book Spirituality and the State: Managing Nature and Experience in America’s National Parks (fall 2019).
- Interfaith service trip focusing on the themes of sustainability and food deserts.
- Lecture with Dr. Kerry Mitchell, the author of Spirituality and the State.
- Spring farm retreat facilitated by Beth Norcross of the Center for Nature and Spirituality.
- Panel discussion on spirituality and the environment.
Interfaith Strategic Plan is in the works! The following people are on the planning committee and are also the Center for Spirituality & Social Justice’s advisory committee:
- Megan Yost, Associate Professor of Psychology and Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies
- Amy McKiernan, Assistant Professor of Philosophy; Director, Ethics Across Campus & the Curriculum
- Kirk Anderson, Assistant Professor of Educational Studies
- Angie Harris, Associate Dean of Students
- Greg Moyer, Assistant Vice President for Enrollment and Director of Admissions Recruitment
- Sonya Paulson, Director of International Student and Scholar Services
- Kristi Brant, Director of Planned Giving
- Sarah Neibler, Assistant Professor of Political Science
- Rabbi Marley Weiner, Director of the Asbell Center for Jewish Life
- Denette Moul, Director of Human Resource Services
- Jodie Vann, Assistant Professor of Religion
- Becky Hammell, Associate Vice President of Student Life