Exercise and Walking Options
Walking, running, individual and team sports, and exercise in any form can be fun fitness options while reducing your stress and increasing your wellbeing. The college offers many fitness opportunities within our regularly scheduled wellness programs and activities, but there are also other options held in the local community. Some programs are open to employees as well as friends and families! Considering what to do to increase your exercise minutes? See the list below for activities, programs and ideas you may enjoy:
- Arbor Walk (also available as a self-guided walking tour): Complete this as a self-guided walking tour
- Carlisle Historical Walking Tour (a self-guided tour from the Cumberland County Historical Society: CCHS)
- Simply Moving | Walking Tours and Bicycle Routes: A free guide to public parks, trails and recreation facilities. For a printed copy, stop by the Office of Human Resource Services!
- Spring Into Fitness Challenge Kick-off Walk: Week 1 on Monday, March 19 departing at 8 a.m. with President Margee Ensign. Meet at the Benjamin Rush Statue between 7:45-8 a.m. for a 30-minute walk to start off the first week of the Challenge. Registration is opening soon in Totara via the Gateway! Registration is not mandatory, but helps us to know who plans to participate.
- Art Around Campus Walk: Week 2 begins on Sunday, March 25! Art Around Campus Walk 2018 is sponsored by The Trout Gallery. This is your chance to learn about all of the cool art on Dickinson’s campus, and get at least 3,200 steps. The route makes a large loop, beginning and ending with bronze outdoor sculptures that are part of The Trout Gallery permanent collection. To follow the route, simply click here to begin: http://tgapp.dickinson.edu/artwalk/
- National Walking Day: Week 3 ~ Historical Book Walking Tour: Join Brenda Bretz and the rest of us on Wednesday, April 4 for a noon-time walk that departs from the Benjamin Rush Statue. The walk will begin at 12:05 sharp - so don't be late! If you are unable to join the group walk, you may complete this individually. The American Heart Association hosts this national event annually, encouraging all to get out and walk for at least 30 minutes to promote health & wellbeing! Walking event will be announced...watch for an update!
- Bike to Farm Potluck: Week 3 on Saturday, April 7 - Online registration will be opening soon at http://www.dickinson.edu/info/20052/sustainability/2317/biking/2
- Wellness Fun Run Walk: Week 4 on Friday, April 13 from 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. at Britton Plaza (Rain Date: Friday, April 27) ~ Registration will be opening soon in Totara via the Gateway!
- North Side Ride ~ Community Bike Event: Week 4 on Saturday, April 14 begins at Hope Station, 149 West Penn Street, Carlisle with a Bike Repair workshop at noon, followed by registration at 12:30 p.m. and a 3-mile bike ride beginning at 1:30 p.m. This is a free, community sponsored event! Register now via Facebook.
- Philanthropy Challenge Tour! Week 6 ~ Monday, April 23 [Raindate: Friday, April 27] Details to be announced soon!
- Spring Into Gardening Walk: Week 5 has been rescheduled to Tuesday, April 24, hosted by Ann Dailey, Master Gardner, begins at noon at the Hurwitz Green near the Benjamin Rush statue on the John Dickinson campus. Enjoy a spring walk and learn about the beautiful gardens on campus! Registration will opening soon in Totara via the Gateway, or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Race Against Racism: Saturday, April 28 beginning at 10 a.m. at YWCA Carlisle. For questions, information, or to register, please visit ywcacarlisle.org.
- Online Registration: http://falconracetiming.com/event/race-against-racism-carlisle/.
- For more activities click on the link for programs provided by Carlisle Parks & Recreation
More fun activities to be announced as Spring Into Fitness continues through Saturday, April 28!
Check for free Wellness Week activities on the monthly posters and in Vitality.