Students sitting on a residence hall deck.

Communal living is an important aspect of the residential college experience.  A useful education includes the life skills around communication, living with others and resolving conflict which are all common pieces of the residential experience for students.

Residence Life & Housing supports the advancement of the academic mission of the College through the residential model. Our philosophy of residential living is grounded in the history of Dickinson College. As a residential college, we provide housing options for all four years that students live at Dickinson. As an integral part of the out-of-classroom experience, students living in College residences will increase their cognitive, interpersonal, and intrapersonal development and complexity. Students need space for physical and intellectual activities to fully benefit from this experience. We work with students to meet their needs on campus by creating the environment in College residences that will be most conducive to their overall success, both academically and socially. 

First-Year Students

First-year students are assigned to live in one of three residential neighborhoods - Adams, Drayer or the Quads.  As a member of the first-year neighborhood, you will have the opportunity to participate in a Town Hall meeting, the annual Dickinson Duel, Fall Fest, community service with a local community partner, attend a faculty dinner, and be able to serve in a leadership role through involvement in the Community Association or Programming Board.

Additionally, students are grouped together by first-year seminar either in a learning cluster or by participating in a learning community.  In the Fall semester, learning community programs are shaped by the First-Year Seminar Faculty working with Learning Community Coordinators.  For more information about the learning communities, please visit the learning communities webpage

For more information about the neighborhood including how to become involved and more about each specific neighborhood please click the link below.

Neighborhood Information

Upper-Class Students

Each upper-class area has a Community Advisor, also called a CA, who is a Senior student who works to develop a larger sense of community within each area.  There are also RAs and House and Apartment Managers, HAMs, who provide assistance to students.