Romance Language House -- Reed Hall
In conjunction with the Portuguese Club, and assisted by the Brazilian Fulbright Teaching Assistant, students organize frequent programs centered on topics related to Lusophone and Hispanic cultures.
All students who wish to live in the Casa shall apply to the Department of Spanish and Portuguese by filling out the Application. Signed applications should be turned in to Professor Shawn Stein (Bosler 10M) or Department Coordinator Elizabeth Zizzi in the main office of Bosler Hall no later than March 21st, 2017, for the 2017-2018 school year. Students off campus may send the application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The most important admission criterion is ability and demonstrated willingness to conduct oneself at all times in Portuguese. Exceptional second-semester first-year students may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Preferences for selection will be given in the following order:
- Rising (forthcoming) Portuguese and Brazilian Studies minor students
- Students who are native or near-native speakers of Portuguese and have demonstrated interest in helping to teach their culture and values to non-native speakers
- Students who have completed Portuguese 101, 102, 200 (formerly 115), 201, 202 or 231 or its equivalent who are minors of Portuguese and Brazilian Studies or majors of Latin American, Latino, and Caribbean Studies and have demonstrated a commitment to studying abroad in a Portuguese-speaking country during their junior year
- Students who have not yet completed Portuguese 101, 102, 200 (formerly 115), 201, 202 or 231, but who plan to be majors of Latin American, Latino, and Caribbean Studies or Portuguese and Brazilian Studies minors, and have demonstrated a commitment to studying abroad in a Portuguese-speaking country during their junior year.
- Students who are taking or are going to take Portuguese 101, 102, 200 (formerly 115), 201, 202 or 231