Animal Care and Use Training
Dickinson requires that IACUC committee members and researchers undertake training so that a) research protocols may be appropriately reviewed for risk and b) researchers minimize risk in the course of conducting their research or classroom protocol. Training is undertaken through CITI and on-line courses provided by the Environmental Health and Safety Office.
1. The Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI)
CITI's web-based courses meet federal as well as Dickinson’s policy requirements. Each CITI course provides bibliographic and other resources which can be incorporated into faculty teaching and research mentoring.
Download the login instructions (use your network ID and password).
Go directly to Dickinson’s CITI Training Site.
Have a question? Check the CITI Q&A (use your network ID and password).
Still not sure which training you need to take or where to find it on the Dickinson website? Consult the Dickinson Research Training Finder (use your network ID and password).
- Make sure your enter your Dickinson email address only.
- Make sure you enter your BANNER ID under “employer ID.”
- Your overall grade for the CITI RCR course must be at least 80%.
- You may stop and continue your training at any time.
- When you are finished, the CITI Course Completion Report will be forwarded automatically to the IACUC Administrator.
Deadline Info for Students
- You may start the course at any time after your faculty mentor has assigned the appropriate course(s).
- If you are a summer research student, you must complete the course prior to starting your work in the lab.
- The Committee currently sees no need for the student to retake the training once the course has already been taken.
Deadline Info for Faculty PIs
- Faculty/PIs with new protocols must take the training prior to conducting the protocol.
- Faculty/PIs who are also IACUC members: training modules taken solely for IACUC membership will “count” when training modules for PIs are also taken.
- The Committee currently sees no need for faculty/PIs to retake the training, once completed.
Deadline Info for IACUC Committee Members
- Committee members must begin the training immediately upon beginning their term of service to the Committee.
- Retraining will be required after three years of committee service.
2. Additional Animal Care and Use Training
Faculty and students listed on protocols must ALSO have completed the Animal Care and Lab Safety on-line training provided by the Environmental Health and Safety Office prior to initiating any research.
- Send a hardcopy of the certificate of training completion by campus mail to Prof. Missy Niblock, IACUC Chair, Department of Biology.