We Buy: You Eat
Building Community Amongst Dickinsonians
LOCALTUNITY is a Dickinson College initiative for all students, faculty & staff aimed to build community, support the local economy, and buy and eat healthy local food together.
This community opportunity allows Dickinson employees and/or students to shop at the Farmers on the Square (FOTS) market together for fresh foods grown by local farmers and receive one $5 token per person to use at the market. Groups of Dickinsonians can double the fun of LOCALTUNITY by additionally agreeing to cook a meal together with their Farmers on the Square purchases.
This sustainability program originally launched in May 2014, with a goal to create a new campus initiative for community building. The program was immediately supported by partners in Student Leadership and Campus Engagement, the Wellness Center, Office of Human Resources, and Center for Sustainability Education. The program has been received with great success amongst students, faculty, and staff at Dickinson with over 700 unique Dickinsonians participating to date. Over 200 groups of three more went to the market together and over 100 groups prepared and ate a meal together after their Farmer's on the Square Market adventure.
LOCALTUNITY is active now, while supplies last. To participate, visit the SLCE Office (HUB Lower Level) on Wednesdays (from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm) to sign-up and pick up your certificates with a group of 3-7 faculty, staff or students. Each group member will receive a certificate that is good for one $5 wooden token at the Farmers on the Square Market. If you complete the "meal section" of the form each member will two certificates, good for two $5 wooden tokens for the market. At the market, the group will turn in their certificates at the information table to receive their wooden tokens that can be used like cash at any Farmers on the Square vendor. Group members can only pick up their own certificates!
- Each Dickinsonian can only participate two times. We keep records.
- You can sign up in advance online HERE.
- You can also sign up when you show up to collect certificates.
- Each group must contain one member that is of a different campus classification (student, faculty staff). For example, a group of three students CANNOT participate, but a group of two students and a staff member CAN participate. Mixed groups are critical to the mission of the program.
- Each group members must pick up there own certificates.
- Failure to submit picture if you committed to prepare meal together, will result in ineligibility for entire group.
- Participation is limited and certificates are offered on a first come first serve basis.
LOCALTUNITY is sponsored by the Center for Sustainability Education, Human Resources, Student Development, Wellness Center and Farmers on the Square.