Students participating in one of Dickinson's 3+2 engineering linkage programs will attend Dickinson for three years and then the engineering program at one of our partner schools for two years. Upon successful completion of the fifth year of school, students will earn two bachelor of science degrees: one from Dickinson and one from the engineering school attended—Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) or Case Western Reserve. Students will be admitted via the linkage agreements with the following criteria:
- An overall GPA of 3.0 or higher for both RPI and Case
- Three letters of recommendation: one from a science professor, one from a mathematics professor and one from the program liaison
- Completion of required prerequisite courses by the end of the junior year at Dickinson
- Completion of all Dickinson major and distribution requirements by the end of the junior year at Dickinson
Please note that Dickinson financial aid does not extend to the student's time at the engineering school. Check with the engineering school of choice for its current financial aid policy.
Intent to participate in the 3+2 program must be expressed to the program liaison early on in your time at Dickinson. The liaison for both programs is Hans Pfister.
Regular advising appointments are highly encouraged. All materials must be submitted to the program liaison by January 30 of your junior year.
- Applications are available on the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and Case Western Reserve websites year round.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute & Case Western Reserve
The following engineering majors are available:
- Aeronautical Engineering (RPI)
- Biomedical Engineering (RPI, Case)
- Chemical Engineering (RPI, Case)
- Civil Engineering (RPI, Case)
- Computer Engineering (Case)
- Electric Power Engineering (RPI)
- Electrical Engineering (RPI, Case)
- Engineering Science (RPI)
- Environmental Engineering (RPI)
- Fluid and Thermal Sciences (Case)
- Management Engineering (RPI)
- Mechanical Engineering (RPI, Case)
- Metallurgy and Materials Science (RPI, Case)
- Nuclear Engineering (RPI)
- Polymer Science (Case)
- System and Control Engineering (Case)
Students are required to take several prerequisite courses to be eligible for the linkages with RPI and Case Western (listed below). Each engineering major may also have additional prerequisites. Please contact Hans Pfister for more information.
- Calculus I, II, III - Fulfilled by taking MATH 170, MATH 171, MATH 270
- Differential Equations - Fulfilled by taking MATH 271
- Mechanics - Fulfilled by taking PHYS 131
- Electricity & Magnetism - Fulfilled by taking PHYS 132
- Relativity & Quantum Physics - Fulfilled by taking PHYS 212
- States of Matter, Atomic & Molecular Structure, Thermodynamics, Equilibrium & Kinetics - Fulfilled by taking CHEM 141
- Chemistry lab - Fulfilled by taking CHEM 241
- One course in the use of computers for numerical analysis - Fulfilled by taking COMP 131
- Six to 12 courses in the humanities and social sciences, depending on the engineering school. These are normally satisfied by the regular Dickinson distribution requirements.
Additional graduate school opportunities are available in the following areas of academic interest: