Information for Students
Are you a Dickinson student who is interested in job shadowing? Start searching Handshake today!
A Dickinson job shadow provides interested students with a short-term, unpaid, non-credit experience in a wide variety of careers and industries throughout the county. Job shadow hosts are Dickinson alumni, parents, or friends of the college who are willing to engage with students to observe and gain a better understanding of both what they do on a daily basis, and the culture in which they work.
A student in the job shadow program may:
- Explore career paths within an organization
- Have informational interviews with employees
- Observe virtual interactions between customers and clients
- Meet with decision makers
- Take virtual tours of facilities (if possible) and attend staff meetings
- Assist with projects and tasks
HOW DO I APPLY FOR A JOB SHADOW?
There are two ways to search for externships:
- Under the employer tab search for “Dickinson Job Shadow Externship Program”
- Scroll down and on the right, you should see a box that says “Jobs at Dickinson Job Shadow Externship Program”
- Click on ‘See all jobs’
2. From the home screen, click ‘Jobs’
- Choose ‘Filter,’ under ‘Employer’ search for “Dickinson Job Shadow Externship Program”
- Click ‘Apply'
If you’re using a mobile device search “Job Shadow Externship” under ‘Jobs’
Once you find a job shadow(s) you are interested in, click ‘Quick Apply,’ submit the necessary materials, and your application will be sent through Handshake. There is no limit to the number of job shadows you can apply to but be prepared to be offered multiple if you choose to apply to multiple.
WHAT WILL MY JOB SHADOW EXPERIENCE LOOK LIKE?
You can look at this sample schedule to get some insight of your own into what the job shadow experience may look like.
ARE ALL STUDENTS GUARANTEED A JOB SHADOW?
Not necessarily. Our hosts can only take a limited number of students. If more than the allotted number apply, some students may be turned away or encouraged to apply to other opportunities.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I FINISH THE JOB SHADOW?
After finishing a job shadow, students should fill out this response form to tell us all about how your experience went. Hosts will fill out a similar form.
For any additional information regarding the Job Shadow Externship experience, please contact Amy Soba, Post-Baccalaureate Associate at firstname.lastname@example.org or (717) 245-1740.