Externships: Information for Volunteers
Yes! I want to Volunteer to Host a Student: Externship Volunteer Sign-Up Form
After signing up, you will receive a confirmation email with specific instructions, a structured time-line and other logistical information.
A DICKINSON EXTERNSHIP
A Dickinson externship consists of a short-term shadowing experience with a host. Externship hosts are Dickinson alumni, parents or friends of the College who are willing to bring students into their workplaces to observe and gain a better understanding of both what they do on a daily basis and the culture in which they work. The Program provides interested students with unpaid, non-credit, short-term shadowing experiences in a wide variety of careers and industries throughout the country over winter break. An extern may:
- Explore career paths within an organization
- Have informational interviews with employees
- Observe interactions with customers and clients
- Meet with decision makers
- Tour facilities and attend staff meetings
- Assist with projects and tasks
For additional ideas check out this sample extern schedule.
JANUARY SESSION DATES:
January 7-18 (2-10 days recommended)
*Host determines the number of days within the externship period (2-10 days recommended)
*Host and student determine which days within the externship period would work best for the experience based on the host's schedule
TIMELINE FOR JANUARY 2019 EXTERNSHIPS
|July 9 - Oct 1||Identify externship hosts and sites, and gather descriptions to be posted for students|
|Oct 23||The Career Center posts externship descriptions in Handshake and starts promoting the opportunities to students|
|Nov 9||Deadline for student externship applications to be submitted via Handshake|
|Nov 17||Emails informing hosts and students of an externship match or no match are sent|
|Nov 30 - Dec 15||Hosts and students connect to finalize externship details and schedule|
|Jan 7 - 18||Time for externs to be on site at Host organizations|
WHAT ARE MY RESPONSIBILITIES AS AN EXTERN HOST?
If matched with a student, the externship host will create and host the student(s) in a two to ten day experience during which the host will provide the student(s) with:
- An itinerary for the experience;
- An overview of your industry and company; and
- A glimpse into the world of work via a shadowing experience
WHY SHOULD I CONSIDER HOSTING AN EXTERN?
Hosting a student extern can help you and your organization:
- identify candiates early in the recruiting process for summer internship opportunities
- gain exposure for your industry, organization and career
- give back to Dickinson College with your time and experience
- reconnect to Dickinson and learn about the current student culture, programs and experience
For additional information about the Externship program, please contact Annie Kondas, Associate Director, Alumni Career Services and Externships at firstname.lastname@example.org or (717) 245-1740.