Student Printing Policy
At the start of each term all enrolled students are given a Free Page Credit sufficient for printing 600 black & white pages. Color pages are the equivalent of two black & white pages. Students are charged a per page fee for pages printed beyond their Free Page Credit. This system helps to offset students’ costs for printing associated with their courses while significantly reducing waste and contributing to Dickinson’s sustainability efforts.
- Most student network printers are set up to print on both sides of a piece of paper (duplex). Because the primary cost of printing is in toner and equipment cost, each side of paper that is printed on is counted as one page.
- Students can check the number of pages remaining in their Free Page Credit via their Dickinson Gateway Portal. The dollar value balances shown at the printer’s access terminal also correspond to the number of pages remaining in the Free Page Credit using the page rates given below.
- If a student depletes their Free Page Credit, printing will automatically be charged to their Declining Balance Account (DBA). The cost of printing additional pages is:
If the student DBA does not contain sufficient funds for the pages printed, the print job will not be released to the printer.
Additional funds can be added to your DBA by visiting the ID Office, Room 207 in the Hub or by calling (717) 245-1704 during normal business hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Acceptable methods of payment are cash, check, MasterCard, Visa or Discover. Added funds do not appear immediately – and may take up to 24 hours after issue to appear.
- 7¢ per black & white page
- 14¢ per color page
- Student printing from the Free Page Credit is available during the following time periods:
- Summer School – from the first day of classes through the last day of exams.
- Fall Semester – from two weeks before the first day of classes through the last day of exams.
- Spring Semester – from one week before the first day of classes through the Sunday of graduation.
- Unused pages from the Free Page Credit do not carry over from semester to semester.
- Any student not enrolled during a given term will not receive a Free Page Credit for that term. Any printing by a student not enrolled in the current term will be charged against their DBA at the page rates indicated above.
- Printing charge disputes (e.g. paper jams, illegible pages, etc) are handled via e-mail. Send an e-mail to email@example.com within three days of your printing problem. Please include the following information:
- a description of the problem
- the name of the file containing the document you were trying to print
- the location of the printer where the problem occurred
- the number of pages affected.
After researching the problem you will receive a response and, if applicable, the pages will be credited back to your Free Page Credit or the charges will be refunded to your DBA.
- Students experiencing financial hardship that prevents them from paying for required printing beyond their Free Page Credit should contact their College Dean for further information.
- Some students with qualifying disabilities might be deemed eligible for a larger Free Page Credit. Students who feel they may qualify for such an adjustment should contact the Office of Disability Services for further information.
Q: What printer do choose?
A: Select Find Me Toshiba, for duplex or Find Me Toshiba Single Sided for single sided. Your printed documents can then be collected at any Toshiba printer using your student ID.
Q: How do I print from my laptop connected to the wireless network?
Q: What if I collect my black & white document from a color printer? What if I have a document that only contains one page of color?
A: Our new color printers are aware of this, and will charge your account accordingly. Pages containing black/grey only will be charged as black & white. Example: a five-page document which is only black and white (or gray scale) will cost 35¢, the same as collecting it from a black & white printer. A five-page document that contains one page with color will cost 43¢ (28¢ for the 4 black & white pages + 14¢ for 1 color page).
Q: If I print my document from a computer at the Library, can I pick it at a printer in the HUB?
A: Yes! You can send a print job to the Toshiba print queue from any computer and you may then collect it at any Toshiba printer using your student ID.
Q: Can the printers print double-sided (duplex) or single sided?
A: Yes, although they are set to duplex automatically if you send your document to the Find Me Toshiba print queue. If you would like your document to print single sided then send it to the Find Me Toshiba Single print queue.
Q: I was charged incorrectly. How do I report it?
A: See #7 above.
Q: How do I report a problem with one of the printers?
A: Find a Library and Information Services (LIS) staff member nearby who can help. If no one is around, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the details of the problem you experienced. If you have any questions about any campus printing, please contact the Help Desk at email@example.com or call during business hours of 8am till 5pm, Monday thru Friday.
Other Useful Links:
When your Free Page Credit is depleted additional printing is charged against your Declining Balance Account (DBA) at the following rates:
- Black and White: 7¢ / document page
- Color: 14¢ / document page
If your DBA does not have sufficient funds to cover the print job it will not be printed. Additional funds can be added to your DBA by visiting the ID Office, Room 207 in the Hub or by calling (717) 245-1704.
Students experiencing financial hardship that prevents them from paying for required printing beyond their Free Page Credit should contact their College Dean for further information.
Some students with qualifying disabilities might be deemed eligible for a larger Free Page Credit. Students who feel they may qualify for such an adjustment should contact the Office of Disability Services for further information.