Applicants must record the expected family contribution on the International Student Financial Aid Application and the Certification of Finances Form. Be sure both sections relay the same information. This will clarify your situation during the application-review process and ease your I-20 Student Visa processing if you are accepted. You must show support for your expected contribution. If your bank will not sign the Certification of Finances form, it is acceptable for the bank to write a certification letter on its own letterhead, translated into English, or to provide a bank or employer statement. If your family is accessing assets as part of the contribution, supporting documents for those assets must also be submitted.

If you have a sponsor other than your parents, they must also supply documents in support of their contribution.

To estimate your family contribution:

1. Determine the funds you have available for yearly college costs.

2. Subtract your estimated expenditures for travel (both to and from the United States and within the United States) and personal expenditures, including the international student health insurance; and,

3. List the remainder as your family’s contribution toward tuition and room and board charges.

4. Please note that a current breakdown of the annual cost of attendance, including the international student health insurance and student-activities fee, can be found on the financial operations page. These costs are updated every March for the upcoming academic year.  

The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS) fee will be your responsibility and is not reflected in the Cost of Attendance.

Grant and scholarship aid in excess of tuition may be subject to U.S. taxation unless the student's home country has a formal tax agreement with the U.S. government.  For more information, please contact the Center for Global Study and Engagement

If offered admission, you will learn of your acceptance and financial-aid award at the same time. While we hope you join the Dickinson community, it is extremely important that you notify the college immediately if you choose not to enroll so that we may assist another international applicant.

Financial Assistance from Non-Dickinson Sources

We’re sure you’ve noticed that many schools offer no funding to international students. It takes a lot of searching to find loans and scholarships, but we hope you won’t be discouraged. Possibilities from other sources do exist.

Some assistance is specific to students from certain countries. For example, the Asian Students in America Education Loan Program (ASIA-HELP) provides zero-interest loans to 1,400 students from South Korea, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia. The following Web sites may be a starting point in your search:

A word of caution: If a scholarship has an application fee, avoid it, as it most likely is a scam.

Other Ideas
U.S. government funds, when available, are limited to specific countries. Try writing to the Agency for International Development, Office of International Training, Washington, D.C., 20523, and visit the U.S. Department of State.
Talk to your school, educational-advising centers or government officials (for example, ministry of education or cultural center of your embassy) about funding opportunities with your government. Explore all options, including parents’ employers, clubs and religious organizations. Students often receive funding from many sources, and smaller scholarships can add up quickly.