We Buy: You Eat
Building Community Amongst Dickinsonians
LOCALTUNITY is a Dickinson College initiative for all students, faculty & staff aimed to build community, support the local economy, and buy and eat healthy local food together.
LOCALTUNITY encourages shopping at the market, eating healthier and being together with fellow Dickinsonians – all while saving you money. Shop Farmers on the Square (FOTS) with three or more Dickinson employees and students for nutritious, fresh foods grown by local farmers. Dickinson will provide a $5 certificate for a token to each group member. Remember that LOCALTUNITY is specifically designed to support faculty/staff and student engagement, so shop at the market, share a meal, and sustain a healthier lifestyle! You can safely go to the market (with a mask and social distanced) with other Dickinson students and employees to take advantage of this offer.
This program is co-sponsored by Human Resources, Student Life, the Wellness Center, and the Center for Sustainability Education.
HOW TO (Updated Fall 2021):
- Each group member must complete this ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM in advance of their market visit to sign up
- Then, pick up certificates at the Office for Student Leadership & Campus Engagement (SLCE) on Wednesdays from 8:30 am-12 pm or 1:00-4:30 pm ONLY. This office is on the lower level of the HUB.
- Each member receives one LOCALTUNITY Market Certificate ($5 Value) that can be exchanged at the FOTS information table and then spent at any market vendor.
- Head to the Farmers on the Square Market with your group and be safe!
- Snap a picture of your adventure and send to email@example.com
- Groups must be mixed -- at least one student and one Dickinson employee
- Groups must involve at least 3 participants, no more than 7
- Each indiviudal can only participate in LOCALTUNITY twice
- Participation is limited and is offered on a first come, first serve basis until funds run out
We will offer the program until all certificates are distributed. For information about the program, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For now, the market is open Wednesday’s from 3:00-7:00 pm. https://www.farmersonthesquare.com/
This sustainability program originally launched in May 2014, with a goal to create a new campus initiative for community building. The program was immediately supported by partners in Student Leadership and Campus Engagement, the Wellness Center, Office of Human Resources, and Center for Sustainability Education. The program has been received with great success amongst students, faculty, and staff at Dickinson with over 700 unique Dickinsonians participating to date. Over 250 groups of three more went to the market together and over 150 groups prepared and ate a meal together after their Farmer's on the Square Market adventure.
LOCALTUNITY is sponsored by the Center for Sustainability Education, Human Resources, Student Development, Wellness Center and Farmers on the Square.