Direct PLUS Loan
Many parents need assistance with educational financing. We recommend that parents consider the Federal Direct PLUS Loan before turning to other options. Additional information is available from the United States Department of Education
A FAFSA is required for all PLUS borrowers. If you have not yet filed a FAFSA for the current academic year, please visit the federal FAFSA website. There is no fee to submit this form and both student and parent must sign.
After your FAFSA has been subnitted, please complete the PLUS Request Process at the Federal loan Web site. This is a two-step process for new borrowers. Those who have borrowed in a prior year do not have to complete a new Master Promissory note, although they must complete Step 1 of the PLUS Request process and have a current FAFSA on file.
Part One: Application Request
You will be asked to provide some basic information such as your social security number, your student's social security number, whether or not you wish to defer repayment of your PLUS loan while your student is enrolled, and finally the amount of loan you are requesting. Your request will undergo an immediate credit check and if approved, you can then submit your request. Please note that you must give your permission for a credit check for the application to be accepted.
To get started, follow the above link. Then:
- Click the green ‘Sign In’ button under ‘Manage My Direct Loan’
- Be sure to enter your information since this loan is a parent loan. Enter your Social Security Number, first two letters of your last name, date of birth, and your Federal Student Aid PIN. (Your PIN is the one you used to sign the FAFSA. Then Click ‘Sign In’.
- From the center column, select "Request a PLUS loan."
- Provide the requested information.
Part Two: Complete Master Promissory Note
- Remain on the Federal loan Web site and, if not already signed in, click the green ‘Sign In’ button under ‘Manage My Direct Loan’
- Enter your Social Security Number, first two letters of your last name, date of birth and your PIN. Be sure to enter your information, not the student’s.
- Click "Sign In"
- From the center column, select "Complete a Master Promissory Note."
- Click "Parent PLUS"
- Provide the requested information. Telephone numbers should be entered with no spaces or punctuation.
It is not possible to save a partially completed Master Promissory Note, so be sure to give yourself enough time (20-30 minutes) to complete the process in one session. The PLUS MPN only needs to be completed once for the duration of your student’s undergraduate career. Since it is a multiyear note, the PLUS MPN does not require or ask for a specific loan amount.
If your student will be enrolled for only one semester, rather than the full academic year, or if you wish to complete these applications on paper, please contact our loan coordinator, Carolyn Thompson, or call our Office at 717-245-1308. You also can contact the US Department of Education Direct Loan Help Line at 800.557.7394 for assistance with completing the forms.