Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and research shows only about 1/3 of Americans actually eat it. Fitting breakfast into your day is a great way to add fiber, improve your mood and concentration, jump start your metabolism and help you achieve your weight goals. A healthy breakfast should contain a combination of nutrient-rich carbohydrates, such as whole grains; fruits and veggies; some lean dairy; and a smidgen of fat. Here are some healthy, on-the-go breakfasts that you can add to your mornings!
- Oatmeal (made with skim milk) topped with with fruit and almonds (try adding a variety of different colors of fruits and berries to ensure that you are getting all different types of vitamins and minerals).
- Whole wheat toast, with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, sliced banana and a cup of skim milk.
- Egg white omelet with reduced fat cheese, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers and onions on a whole wheat sandwich thin.
- 2 whole grain waffles topped with low fat cottage cheese and strawberries.
- Smoothie, prepared using low-fat silken tofu, or low-fat plain yogurt, with some of your favorite berries (make it the night before so it's ready to go when you are!)
- 1 cup high-fiber cereal with diced bananas and skim milk.
- Egg white and turkey sausage breakfast burrito with whole wheat tortilla, topped with fresh salsa and coffee.
- Low fat yogurt parfait, with fruit and granola.