Pre-Health Personal Statement
This is one of the most challenging and time consuming but important pieces of your application to professional school. You will need to plan to spend significant time developing your story, as if this is the most important paper of your life to date.
Tips and suggestions to help you succeed:
- Spend time reflecting on who you are as a person along with why you are choosing your career goals prior to writing.
- Make a list of important experiences gained to date that might benefit your medical education. This might include coursework, service, awards, conferences, volunteer work, etc.
- Develop a personal focus throughout the statement, incorporating your potential story as well as your rationale for pursuing a professional education leading to a career of healthcare service.
- Include stories of examples of your “hands on” or clinical experiences to demonstrate why you would be an appropriate candidate for their consideration.
- Write with exceptional grammar. Double and triple check your statement for spelling errors and/or misused words (i.e. heir instead of hair … spell or grammar check will not catch this!).
For additional information, please visit the Applying to Health Graduate Programs page.